Strange unRAID disconnect problem

Unraidstef

It has been like that since I cannot remember when, but my PC is having a problem connecting to my unRAID server in the following way, systematically:

I turn on my PC running Windows10. I try to acces my unRAID server. Windows tells me it cannot find the location, no matter how many times I try or how long I wait (always). I reboot my PC, and then windows finds the server right away (always).

Then, if I leave the PC powered on for some time, same thing happens, server not found next time I try to access it.  The only way I have found to keep the server from disconnecting is by reading continuously from it (ie: if I play on my PC a song located on the unraid server with auto repeat enabled). This seems to keep the connection between my PC and the server alive, and it can work for days.

It seems like the unRaid server falls to sleep after a while? but I do not only need to "ping it" once to wake it up, I also need to reboot my PC after "pinging it".

I setup my UnRAID server years ago but I cannot remember if there were any options that I should modify to avoid that? or I thought maybe my router is causing it (some kind of an eco friendly function maybe?).

I am not sure where I should start to troubleshoot that issue. Is it posible to directly connect my unRAID server to my PC using an ethernet cable? that way I could eliminate any form of problem emanating from my router?

The situation is bothering me because I often have to leave my PC on for long periods of time, and having to reboot it to access unRAID files is not welcome...

Again, any help, clue or tip welcome!

Do you have a Static IP set on your server?

Do you have a reservation set on your Router for your Servers IP?

I ask because when I had two devices trying to use the same ip one it would do goofy things like your suggesting. 

Whey say connect. Do you mean via SMB, http://tower, http://ipaddresshere?

What version of unRAID are you running?

As well you should post up a diagnostic file. 

Archived