Parity errors - could it be a Marvel HD Controller?

For a long time I have been having a problem with my unraid setup. Parity check would find a few errors every time (like 5-20 errors - the array consists of 6TB HDs), and every time they are in different positions, so, the obvious assumption is that they are fake. I checked my memory, my disks, my PSU and I found no problem. The only remaining culprit is the mobo or the CPU, which are difficult to check.

I then stumbled on one suggestion from settings > Fix Common Problems mentioning that I have a Marvel Hard Drive Controller and this has caused, sometimes, parity errors. Is there a simple way to check if this is the reason for my problem?

PS: my mobo is the  Asus P5Q deluxe (marvel controller: 88SE6121) and the CPU is the Core 2 Quad Q9550

Hi, I'm Clippy! I noticed you are asking our friendly volunteers for help, but you haven't included your diagnostics. Using the unRAID webgui, go to Tools -> Diagnostics, generate a diagnostics.zip file and attach it to your next post.  If you can't access the webgui, this post explains how to generate one from the command line.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
11 hours ago, ashman70 said:

I have the same marvel controller as you, I used to have it in a different server where it caused no end of issues until I replaced it. I have since put it in a different unRAID server where I have had no problems with it, so sure it could be the controller and your hardware are not a great match.

So there is no solution other than changing hardware?

One of the things I did to stabilize my machine was to leave my 6TB drives spinning all the time (I also replaced my power supply, it was older).  The 6TB drives seem to spin up slowly and caused issues at the beginning of parity checks. That said I’m running fairly similar hardware and I did eventually replace my SAS2LP with an LSI based card - that was the major improvement.