We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Possible Fatal Issue-1 Drive Failed, 1 Drive Disabled

big.burlinski

I'll have a drive to use in a day or two, I decided to bite the bullet and repurpose a 2TB drive in a USB enclosure that I had with backups on it and in the process of downsizing and rearranging that now, then I'll preclear it in the other server. It's already in there in Unassigned devices. If everything continues to go well I might even be able to start the preclear tonight before bed time :-)

Reminiscing, that reminded me this is how this whole unRAID journey started, I kept looking at all those USB drives I had and said this is kinda getting ridiculous lol.

Thanks again for all the help this really is the greatest forum and product support.!

4 hours ago, big.burlinski said:

I'll have a drive to use in a day or two, I decided to bite the bullet and repurpose a 2TB drive in a USB enclosure that I had with backups on it and in the process of downsizing and rearranging that now, then I'll preclear it in the other server. It's already in there in Unassigned devices. If everything continues to go well I might even be able to start the preclear tonight before bed time :-)

Reminiscing, that reminded me this is how this whole unRAID journey started, I kept looking at all those USB drives I had and said this is kinda getting ridiculous lol.

Thanks again for all the help this really is the greatest forum and product support.!

Sorry for the non-response.  I've been having server issues of my own :o

Do you have flash backups from before you did any kind of 'New Config' operation?

14 hours ago, big.burlinski said:

yes I did back up the flash drive so I can restore 

Just to be sure, I just read up on the flash drive, I took the backup with the array stopped, just before I did anything like new config or anything, basically the first thing I did. It seemed that at that time, with the system powered up, but never started and no rebuilds or parity checks run (actually it would not have let me) Disk7 was disabled, but present in the config, and Disk5 was disabled and showed no device, with the original serial # below that as missing.

So probably tomorrow I will be doing this (preclear on the replacement disk 5 is still in the first read stage):

To resolve this what you'd need to do is this.

1 - Get or find a replacement for disk5. Should be same size as old disk5.

2 - Do a new config and where disk5 had been, insert the new disk

3 - Start the array, trusting parity

4 - Immediately stop the array. Remove replacement disk5 from slot5, leaving the slot empty. 

5 - Start the array. (UnRAID will now start and be emulating disk5)

6 - Look at disk5. See if it looks generally good. Hopefully it will. But if disk7 had gotten updates while it was being emulated, it might appear unformatted. But there is still hope - especially since you are likely using RFS file system, which is best for recovering data from situations like this.

7 - Either way, stop the array, reassign a new disk to slot5 (doesn't have to be the same one you used in steps 1 and 2), and restart the array. 

8 - unRAID will rebuild disk5

To restore my backed up flash drive, should i copy everything, or just the config folder? Should I do anything special with the super.dat file? (I think I should replace super.dat because it has now changed when I did the new config) but maybe unRAID can just make a new one after the new config.

I probably will go ahead and rebuild disk5 after that why not :-)

Thanks you guys for your support!

17 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

You can and should do the procedure Tom (limetech) posted about using the invalid slot command, this works with a new disk, it's only not working for now with an empty slot.

Ok, good I will! I did have a question in there about restoring the flash drive backup :-)

10 minutes ago, big.burlinski said:

Ok, good I will! I did have a question in there about restoring the flash drive backup :-)

You don't need to restore, do another new config, assign any missing disks, including the new disk5, run the invalid slot command and start the array to begin the rebuild.

Archived