(SOLVED) Dropping speeds on Parity Checks

Hi Guys,

I have been running a parity checks on my unraid server, and had mixed results on the speeds lately. (My thoughts where interference of other processes)

Due to a Disk RMA, i had to remove a disk and offload all data off it, rebooted and wanted to do a parity check afterwards. (Did not die, smart alarms)

So to speed things up i stopped all my dockers (did not stop the service, forgot) and VM's (disabled the VM manager as well).

Again i see the gradually slow down of the parity check, and a dip but that was me accessing a share.

Other checks in the past avg around 220MB, so i quite wonder if there is a possible explanation for this.

Disk temps are pretty stable around 30 / 32 celsius, so heating is not a issue in my opinion.

Had some vibration issues (bad case) in the past that made the G-Sense sensor trip in the past, wonder if it degraded the drives.

The drives passed seagate seatools test that i had to run for the RMA, but still i'm not feeling to happy about these speed drops.

Also had a bad cable in the beginning (preclear), resulting in smart cmd timeout and crc errors but that is fixed for a while now.

Anyone has a idea?

Parity Check.jpg

Edited by SiNtEnEl
2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That's perfectly normal and how disks work, they are much faster on the outer cylinders and gradually slow down as it goes to the inner cylinders.

Agree on that, and use to see a speed drop of around 30 / 40 MB in the end (200MB range), but now i'm well over 100MB down in speed (90MB) hens what got me worried.

Only thing that changed is that i lost a disk compared to the old setup, 2 vs 3 maybe that is a large factor.