We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Expected Read Performance on a Xeon E3-1276 System

JPrez

Hey All -

So I'm curious what people are getting with regards to read performance on unRaid 6 in general if I could.

My hardware is as follows:

SuperMicro XL7-F Board with a Xeon E31276 CPU @ 3.60 GHz with 32 GB of ECC Ram

8x4TB WD Red 5400 RPM HDD

My array is complete and parity built but I am lucky to pull down between 70-80MB/s via Windows file explorer.  The same hardware running FreeNAS pulls 112MB/s+ consistently.   

I understand UnRaid is slower on the write (faster if you have a cache drive) but wasn't expecting a slower read response.   I don't believe it's hardware since the same hardware on FreeNAS performs much faster.   Is there a setting I'm missing or is that just the nature of unRaid?

Thanks

3 hours ago, JPrez said:

My array is complete and parity built but I am lucky to pull down between 70-80MB/s via Windows file explorer.  The same hardware running FreeNAS pulls 112MB/s+ consistently. 

Unlike FreeNAS unRAID doesn't stripe disks, so you can get nowhere near a stripped solution performance, you do get other advantages like each disk being a separate filesystem and being able to use different size disks, still with those disks and assuming you're transferring large files you should get line speed with gigabit, except if reading from the end of a disk, where they are slower and for WD Reds max out at about 80Mb/s

Archived