(Solved) Slow transfer (FROM unRAID, not to)

Tuxer

Hey everyone, I've been running unRAID for about a month now and love it.  Not that the details matter much, but I made a quick script that backups up media and some important data from my unRAID server to a WD mycloud device I have running on my local network.  The script just uses rsync.  I was wondering why it was running so long so I added the progress tag and noticed the upload was only going 30MBps and I don't understand why.  That also explained why syncing files from Plex to my phone took forever over the local WiFi.  More details/tests below...

1. I've confirmed from my switches and router that all network ports are connected at a full gig, including the server.  That rules out an issue with network connectivity/configuration.
  2. Transfer speeds TO unRAID hits 130MBps as expected which also rules out a network issue or disks.
  3. Upload speed from a different local PC to the same MyCloud device hits around 80MBps which is what I was getting previously.  Rules out issue with MyCloud
  4. Prior to moving to unRAID, when I uploaded from the server to MyCloud, I'd get transfers around 70-80MBps (as mentioned above).  Rules out server hardware.

Attached is a screenshot of the unRAID network in the Info page.  Would anyone have any ideas or suggestions I can check?  It's not the end of the world, but am hoping someone has some insight and I might get lucky. 

image.png

4 minutes ago, Tuxer said:

Transfer speeds TO unRAID hits 130MBps as expected which also rules out a network issue or disks.

Not clear that you have ruled out disks (or their connections or controllers), since you haven't provided enough details to demonstrate that the same disks (connections, controllers) are involved in each test.

After a slow transfer, and before any reboot, go to Tools - Diagnostics and post complete diagnostics zip.

I realized I forgot one more detail and that was doing an rsync to another local computer came up with the same 30MBps transfer speed.  When I went to reply, I also realized I didn't do just a regular copy and paste from an unRAID share to my PC, so I did that and of course the speed will be the expected 110MBps.  

Did some more research on rsync and it's because I was using the z flag to compress the data.  DUH.  Really sorry guys, just needed a little more troubleshooting I suppose.  I appreciate the responses and willingness to help.  Thank you

Archived