Mini-SAS to 4-SATA connector cables

Jcloud

Question to all the folks who may know this.

I pulled a random Mini-SAS to 4-SATA port connector cable, like the one listed here. from a drawer at work to use at home but none of my sata drives are recognized on the cable. The drives are known good, the ports on the enclosure are known good, the ports used on SAS HBA tested good. Looking like a bad cable. My question is, are there mini-sas to 4-port sata cables which will only work on SAS drives? My Google-Fu, points to no, but checking to be sure. Are these thin-blue cables as cheap as they look, and have a tendency of being bad or breaking? Did I just get "lucky," a bad cable, and should go buy a lotto ticket?

Thanks for your time and responses.

Edited by Jcloud
shortened URL
7 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There are forward breakout and reverse breakout cables, and although they look the same one only works from miniSAS controller to SATA devices and the other from SATA controller ports to a minSAS device connector, e.g., backplane.

Thank you Sir.  Do you know if there is a term, code, index, or other identifying mark for this? Otherwise I guess it's write down all data and go looking for "model numbers" to check my details.  At work and can't check now, but your answer sounds good to me.  To put into an analogy, it sounds similar to a straight and a cross-over cable in CAT5/6 cables; both in function and physical wiring.

1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Not sure, but probably only if there's a model or p/n code.

Yeah that's what I'll go hunt down on the internet after work. Just hoping the industry was a step a head of me and I'm ignoramus.  Instead I'm just an ignoramus. 

Again, thanks for your time.

Found this nice write-up from 2010 hard to search the forums for answers when you don't know the key words to query. 

Edited by Jcloud
Found a link from the past relevant to subject.