Is it possible to get unraid server to use an internet connection from a VM?

k2e2ni

Hi All,

I have seen any other post about this, but could have missed it due to the search terms. 

Is it possible to get the server to use an internet connection from a VM? My server can't currently connect to the internet because it requires a VPN on the network it is connected to, but I have not been able to find a way to install the app (Pulse Secure) for it. It's settings also seem to be too different to be able to use OpenVPN and such as on a Ubuntu VM I can get it to connect via PulseSecure but not OpenVPN.

I have been physically moving the server to a regular network with full internet connection in order to update it's plugins and the OS but it is becoming a huge chore and it means I am frequently outdated and miss all the notifications. I have a VM running windows with the appropriate settings and app to allow it to connect to the internet but don't know how I can get the server to use that.

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers,

On 2/22/2018 at 9:58 PM, trurl said:

There are people running pfsense in a VM and then using that connection. I am not really familiar with the details but it might give you some ideas.

As I understand pfsense is a standalone OS to serve as a router right? Not really sure how that would work.

My main issue at the moment is that Windows is the most straightforward way to enable the internet connection, so if I need to now setup the weird VPN in pfsense it may be even harder to try and figure out.

If you can't get pfsense to make the VPN connection (which would be ideal), a Google of router software for Windows does turn up some virtual router type of solutions.  That's what I'd be looking into - router software to work within your Windows instance that will expose an internal network and use the VPN as its uplink.

Archived