help a complete noob

JoNBoYuK

First, go to your GUI   and   Settings   >>>>   SMB    then select "Workgroup Settings".  Now change the 'Local master browser:' to 'Yes'  and click on the "Apply" button.    Now click on the "SMB Extras" tab and paste the following in the the Box:

[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes 
os level = 255

Again click on the 'Apply' button.  Now reboot your server.   After it up-and running, reboot your Windows computer

If your server is now not visible read through the Thread that @trurl post up.  (It is a good think to read in any case since you are a new user.)  IF you are still having issues.  Post back here and give more information about your Windows computer. 

41 minutes ago, JoNBoYuK said:

right i have just setup a new server but windows wont detect it in network folder but i can access it with //servername or the ip and get the unraid settings etc but cant access via windows what am i doing wrong?

If the suggestions offered so far do not resolve the issue; make sure SMB v1.0 is enabled on your Windows machine.  Even if it is enabled, try toggling it off and on again.  That has resolved the unRAID (and other computers) not found in Windows Network folder for me on a couple of occasions.  Windows updates sometime disable SMB v1.0 for, they say, security reasons; but, unRAID and other devices seem to work better with SMB 1.0 than with SMB 2.0 or 3.0

thanks guys it worked love ya just go my server all setup, just need to find the best way to transfer 24tb of stuff to new server 10tb parity setup ready i assume as shares are green as it copies it parity at the same time? hence why it copies at around 65/75 rather than 115+ at max 1gbps speed is this the best way?

IF you get these speeds through out your transfer you will be doing good.  Remember that it is calculating and updating parity as it saves the data.  so everything will always be parity protected.  The fastest speeds are when you are copying large files.  When the file sizes are small, there is a lot of OS overhead with file creation and disk space allocation.  

For the fastest transfers,   go to   Settings   >>>>    Disk Settings    and set the 'Tunable (md_write_method):'  to "Write Reconstruct".  This will keep all of the disks spun up during file writing but it is fastest than the other two choices.  (The other choices will only require that the parity disk and the one being written to be spun up.) 

1 hour ago, JoNBoYuK said:

thanks guys it worked love ya just go my server all setup, just need to find the best way to transfer 24tb of stuff to new server 10tb parity setup ready i assume as shares are green as it copies it parity at the same time? hence why it copies at around 65/75 rather than 115+ at max 1gbps speed is this the best way?

Since there were several suggestions to help you solve the issue, you might want to modify your post to state exactly what you did to resolve it. This will help someone in the future who finds this thread trying to resolve the same problem.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2018 at 7:47 PM, Frank1940 said:

First, go to your GUI   and   Settings   >>>>   SMB    then select "Workgroup Settings".  Now change the 'Local master browser:' to 'Yes'  and click on the "Apply" button.    Now click on the "SMB Extras" tab and paste the following in the the Box:

[global]
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes 
os level = 255

Again click on the 'Apply' button.  Now reboot your server.   After it up-and running, reboot your Windows computer

If your server is now not visible read through the Thread that @trurl post up.  (It is a good think to read in any case since you are a new user.)  IF you are still having issues.  Post back here and give more information about your Windows computer. 

then disabled and then re-enabled smb1 on windows

EDIT:// to be fair 6tb of data transferred in about 13hours held a sold 95/105 most of the time with a  few dips :)

Edited by JoNBoYuK
  • 1 year later...

Just a quick note that there is anther solution to this problem without enabling SMB1. Microsoft has replaced SMB with "Function Discovery" (in a manner of speaking) and there is a daemon / script that enables that for Linux.

I have "Instructions" in the thread here:

forums.unraid.net/topic/82765-solved-windows-network-working-with-no-smb1/ 

Kevin