Old server raid not recognized due to name change

matrix20085

Sorry for the cryptic title but I wasn't sure how to explain it. I am working on upgrading drives so I precleared the new drives, shut the server down, and replaced physical drive 0 (PD0) with the new one. When I booted up the drive was missing in unraid (expected), but it was virtual drive 3(VD3) that was missing and the option was not there to replace it with the new drive. I assumed that is because the drive I am replacing it with is bigger than the parity so it would not show. I figured I would have to swap PD0 back to the old one and PD1 with the new drive to slowly figure out the configuration. So now PF0 is back to original and PD1 is now the new drive. When I turn the server back on VD3and VD5 are now missing with nothing to replace them. It took me a second but I remembered that for unraid to see the drives I had to go into the servers raid configuration and make each separate drive into its own raid0 so uraid could use them as separate drives. I shut the server down and replace PD1 with the original and booted to the raid controller. As expected the 2 raids were missing but there was a foreign configuration option that was back to the original riad setup so i went to that. I did not have to initialize any drives so i assume the data is still there. The problem I am running into now is when it put PD0 and PD1 back into their old raid configuration it apparently renamed them so unraid does not recognize them as the same drives as before (but I can see them). I would be ok rebuilding them but I am getting the error "Too many wrong or missing disks!" Has anyone been able to overcome this? 

I know this is convoluted so please ask questions if you need help understanding the setup/problem. 

That's one of the reasons raid controllers are not recommended, I didn't really follow your post, but as long as you know which drive is which you can always do a new config and trust parity, but you need to be sure at least which one is parity (assuming you have single parity, if you have dual parity you need to know all the original assignments to keep both parity drives valid), if you need more help post a current main page screenshot and the diagnostics.

Thanks for answering so quickly, work got busy and I haven't had time to look at this till now. Attached are the 2 things you asked for. I went into the raid controller and named the VD but that name is not present in unraid. As you can see it assigns them random names. You can see the full name of one of the missing disks and the new names for both the disks I took out. Since they do not line up I assume my best shot here is to take the 50/50 chance, do a new config, and guess at where those 2 drives go. If I guess wrong will it just error out and I can do another new config with the 2 drives switched or will it automatically start overwriting?

As a side note I would love to not use the raid controller, but it is a Dell rack mount server and as far as I know I need to use the raid controller. Is there a way around it?

tower-diagnostics-20180302-0601.zip

unraid.png

Since it's 2 data drives and you're using single parity disk order isn't important, so you can just do a new config, keep all assignments and just assign the new disks to the missing slots, then check "parity is already valid", as long as the raid firmware didn't touch the data they should mount normally, you should still run a parity check after.

Archived