Starting Data Array from partially filled disk

Bytales

Im pondering installing Unraid to create two Desktops. But My current Desktop has only one 10TB hdd, that has only 2 TB free space.

Is there a way to create a DATA Array from this single disk, without wiping it off (formatting it), and then copy the allready present Content to diffrent Shares, and adding a parity Drive later on ?

I would like to do the folowing:

1)Create the Data Array from this single 10 TB disk.

2)Move the Content to different Shares.

3)Add in the future a 12TB parity drive.

4)Add another 12TB drive in the Data Array.

5)Move everything residing on the the 10TB drive on the 12TB drive in the Data Array.

6)Take out the  10 TB drive and sell it.

7)Expand the Data Array by adding more 12 TB drive.

Is this possible in any way ?

Or one can start a Data Array only by formating the drives that create it ?

In practise you should assume that adding a disk to unRAID will wipe its contents.   While there are circumstances under which unRAID will accept a disk that is already partitioned and formatted to unRAID standards your current disks will not conform so adding them to unRAID will result in the current contents being wiped.

How do i go about then not loosing Content from the 10 tb disk ?

Making a Data Array from two 12tb disks(1parity one Data), and then how do i copy the Data from the 10Tb disk to the Data Array ?

Can i connect the 10TB disk with usb 3.0 to one of the created stations, and just start filling the Data Array in their respective Shares form the 10TB disk ?

You should be able to mount your 10tb disk as an "unassigned device". This would make it accessible and able to be read and written from the unRAID server. It would not be in the array. You must have an array, however, which can be as simple as a small USB stick to satisfy the requirement or perhaps an SSD as cache. You can use the unprotected 10tb disk, and when you add the 12tb disks to the server to form the array, and then copy the 10tb to that array, thereby protecting the data and having it on the array. Finally, after the data is safe on the array, you can add the 10tb drive to the array. It will be blanked, but provide an additional 10tb of parity protected space.

The requirement would be for unraid to have at least a Cache Pool, then, right ?.

So i would be able to start with a Cache Pool and a "Unassigned Device" ?.

If i install Windows on partitions on the Cache Pool, is the "unassigned Device" visible from Windows ? Or is it visible only in the Unraid Interface ?

8 minutes ago, Bytales said:

The requirement would be for unraid to have at least a Cache Pool, then, right ?.

So i would be able to start with a Cache Pool and a "Unassigned Device" ?.

If i install Windows on partitions on the Cache Pool, is the "unassigned Device" visible from Windows ? Or is it visible only in the Unraid Interface ?

No, the requirement is to have at least one data disk.    A cache Pool is always optional.

Not sure what you are trying to achieve when you talk about installing Windows in partitions on the cache disk? 

Buy 2 12tb disks now. Build unraid using those two 12tb disks. Move the data from your current 10tb disk to the array (either over network, or however). Once that's done, wipe the 10tb, and insert it into your unraid server, add it into the array. Viola you know have a 22tb array with single parity protection.

Archived