[SOLVED] Adding an LSI Controller, 2 Disks, and an Optical Drive

A few days ago I replaced a 4TB Parity disk with a 6TB disk and everything went smoothly.  Now I would like to add that 4TB disk to the array, add another 6TB HGST as well as a SATA optical drive to the system.  Since I'm out of SATA ports on my motherboard, I purchase an LSI 9211-8i; however, before I dive in I have a couple of questions:

1. To make things easy, I was thinking of keeping the current 8 disks connected to the motherboard and connect the two disks along with the optical drive to the LSI 9211-8i.   Any performance issues in splitting the data disks in this fashion?
  2. The optical drive is currently connected via USB in an external case, so I figured why not mount it internally as I have the room and extra SATA ports.  I assume since unRAID recognizes the optical drive via USB, it shouldn't have an issue connected via SATA.  
  3. When I swapped out the parity disk I labeled the disks for future identification purposes.  In doing so, I noticed that the order the disks within the UI are not the order that they are mounted within the case.  Although it doesn't truly matter, I'm curious if I can move them around so they are ordered properly as per the UI.  My disks are mounted on drive sleds, so I figured I could simply disconnect the SATA and power cables from the disks and reposition them within the case to match the UI.  This is probably an unnecessary step, but figured if it's not a issue moving them around, why not take another 10 - 15mins to rearrange them.    
Edited by luisv
Solved
3 hours ago, luisv said:

Any performance issues in splitting the data disks in this fashion?

No

3 hours ago, luisv said:

The optical drive is currently connected via USB in an external case, so I figured why not mount it internally as I have the room and extra SATA ports.  I assume since unRAID recognizes the optical drive via USB, it shouldn't have an issue connected via SATA.  

Don't know if an LSI will accept an optical drive, it it doesn't swap with one of the disks on the onboard controller.

3 hours ago, luisv said:

so I figured I could simply disconnect the SATA and power cables from the disks and reposition them within the case to match the UI.

You can.

• Like 1