Need help and pointers

dave496

Hey 

As the title says i need help and tips with my server setup. It all started when i heard about Plex (and also Emby, but i will stick with Plex for now atleast) and all the wonders it makes for your media library and that you can watch your media outside your local network, and my current way to view the media wasn't probably the most efficient. Through Linus Tech Tips i got introduced to unRaid and Lime Tech and i hade i old gaming PC just sitting there collecting dust in a closet so i thought what da hell, let's make a media server. 

I currently have the server running unRaid 6.4.1 with, a PlexMediaServer docker (Lime Tech own) installed and working, a windows 10 VM. 

I use the Windows 10 VM to, 1 run a FTP client  (flashFXP) so i can get access to a friends "media file" server. 2 i use the build in windows remote desktop client so i can access my server and the unRAID webUI outside the local network (the server is stationed at my brother house because he has better internet connection, 1Gbit up/1Gbit down). 3 run handbrake and makeMKV so i can add my own physical DVD and Blu-ray media library. 4 run a torrent client.

It's here with the way i use Windows VM i feel like i could do it more efficient, secure and easier for myself. Is it a bad way to use it like this? I went like this because, well i know Windows and i can operate just like it's on my own desktop. i know that i probably atleast should have run a Linux Ubuntu VM  for the same thing and use Teamviewer to connect to it. It's all new to me and i have never used a linux operating system or something like unRaid before. It went pretty fast from just being a Plex Server to wanting to do more things on it.

So if anyone have some tips, suggestion or maybe pointers  on what i maybe could/should do differently to accomplish the same thing but better?

i also would like to "make my own dropbox" sometime with maybe programs like nextCloud or ownCloud.

sincerely dave

Hi,

You may want to use dockers instead of VM for every app you need. 

I suggest you watch gridrunner's videos (he has a Youtube channel dedicated to this things) and I'm sure you will have a batter understanding about how this things work.

I was in the same situation as you almost 2 years ago when I started using unRAID, and now I use VMs just for tests and nothing more.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, dave496 said:

But what the different between dockers and plugins?

Plugins enhance unRaid's webUI whereas a docker tends to be more of what you would think of as an application.

1 hour ago, dave496 said:

of a program exist as a plugin, should i still try to use a docker instead? 

Yes.  Although in the Apps tab you won't find any such duplication.

As to whether or not to run an application within a VM or if its available as a docker app, generally its far more efficient and less overhead to run it as a docker app.  But, there is a learning curve to a docker app (path mappings) which is explained in gridrunner's videos

An important point for me to realize (as a non IT person only beginning to be functionally literate in linux) when first introduced to containerized apps and linux (which was about the same time) was that with Dockers (docker is basically synonymous with containerized app i.e. Kleenex vs. tissue) they are able to use CPU and memory resources as needed, yet with little to no unnecessary overhead like a VM which needs to support the entire OS stack (as per Squid's comment) but also that by using a VM you are confining it to the set amount of RAM and CPU threads allocated by your VM Config, which also segments that off and arbitrarily carves up your resources - where Dockers play nice and both have access to whatever they need, yet typically need very little because they're such a self-contained mini-version of an OS effectively.  My docker vs VM analogy is more like a train - any traincar with a couple of axles and a hitch can hook on and be pulled by the (UnRaid) train, but not every traincar needs a locomotive (IE a VM with full OS).  In fact, there's economy of scale by only having one set of strong locomotives pulling all of the train (your host hardware running nice lean Linux based UnRaid) and they can simply all share in the power available, while nicely and efficiently segmented from one another.   

Plus your docker (as current as the wonderful community member fostered UnRaid centric Dockerized apps are kept here) is trivial to update (can even autoconfig that to happen) while VM's of course have the usual chore of needing to manage the host OS, keep Windows free from malware, etc, even in a VM.   Not that dockers are free from risk, but practically speaking it's largely mitigated (and quite easily wiped and reinstalled if anything goes wrong, UnRaid will even save your config settings for you)   

Conversely, with the hardware most people use to host UnRaid on their first time around, there's ample capacity to run lots of dockers, even on old / cheap / modest hardware.   But if you run very many VM's, that hardware requirement will be quite a bit steeper to have a good experience  Your Host OS UnRaid takes <1GB to run in RAM, leaving lots of resources in Docker app terms even on a low powered low RAM machine.   However bloating up a VM (particularly Windows) with alot of utilities running would potentially hinder performance if, say you try to get by with a "skinny" Windows VM with 4GB RAM and 2 or 4 CPU threads, etc.  Then the VM's performance suffers with whatever else you're trying to use it for - or crashes your utility every time that new game crashes and leaves you with BSOD if the utility is running on that Windows VM.

I guess the attempted advisement (aimed at new / novice user who like me marginally understands any of this stuff) is to not be afraid to experiment a bit (perhaps keep treasured data off the NAS at this stage til you're past the initial learning curve) and best leverage the neat hat trick of UnRaid which is to offer on one Prosumer platform a robust and easy to navigate (and cheap) NAS, a very slick Docker "hypervisor", and for that matter the smattering of free/open source Linux OS's out there that can do amazing things with stability and very low resource use.   

And we can't end without mentioning the otherworldly App "store" that isn't even from UnRaid, it's Squid's creation, a community member, turning this platform into a treasure trove of nifty stuff. 

And of course you certainly can and should dive into Limetech's very competitive KVM based VM hosting platform that is increasingly flexible / powerful and because of enhancements, increasingly accessible to novice users, thanks in no small part to Gridrunner (SpaceInvader)'s videos to take the scary out of it for us. 

Don't forget to pay it forward, either with compliments or better yet by contributing to these folks "buy me a beer" / Patreon accounts to continue to foster their continued TLC and involvement in this platform). 

There's a bit of a learning curve, but it's fast, and if you can master using / leveraging UnRaid for general poweruser features for home use purposes, you'll be in a place of much more independence and power in terms of managing your own computing experience going forward.   For example, install Airsonic docker, point the config to your music shares, run it, watch what it does, and then try it out and see that you've just created a music streaming self-hosted service without needing anything but Linux (UnRaid + dockerized app), even if you know nothing about setting up a server.   Install a compatible phone app and now you've just conquered the need for dependency on a subscription service.   Etc. Etc.  Rejoice, Rinse and Repeat lol...   And welcome to Open Source software.

PS another tip for things that you aren't finding in "Apps" - load a linux VM like Ubuntu or Solus (I suggest the KDE desktop versions (KDE Neon = Ubuntu, Solus is just about to release KDE out of beta but it's already rock solid).  If moving from Windows, particularly the Solus "sane default" KDE implementation (it'll be familiar) is designed to "just work" out of the box.   Then learn about Snap packages https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/snappy and how simple it is to use those in various linux distros now by simply issuing the "snap install xyz" command (this is effectively another more sophisticated type of containerization).  You'll have to use the terminal and text based commands to install them, but google is laden with info on how, and after you've done this you will have impressed yourself.  Another very nifty way to expand past the comfort of just Windows.    One last hint - I prefer Windows-centric icons in KDE (I find the "flat" icon themes they use can be disorienting otherwise as a "Windows migrator").   There are icon packages that can be installed to mimick WIndows icons, and they will simply make KDE feel even more familiar and easier to use.   The newest KDE desktop in my opinion is now knocking on the door of a truly enjoyable and fully featured daily driver replacement capable desktop environment from which there's less and less you need Windows for.   There's only one problem - there's dozens of other linux desktops and hundreds of "distro's" that are also quite compelling and each have their own merits lol...   www.distrowatch.com   

Archived