Webshop selling server chassis

MvL

I'll find Inter-tech a bit expensive for what I'll get. If I look on the Xcase site it look if the build quality is better from there selling server chassis, but true it's hard to tell from a picture. 

I have a storage room where I can put a server rack. I owned a HP sever for awhile and there was something wrong with the firmware that result in screaming fans. Damn it was like a F16 jet engine. So I know rack mounted gear make more noise, but appreciate your concern. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Edited by MvL
  • 3 weeks later...

I have my eye on the 3U 316 Pro from x-case, seems better specced then the logic case equivalent from servercase, ie. backplane supports SGPIO. Just wish they did an ATX power supply version so I don't have to buy a new PSU.

I don't plan on getting anything until I've moved house in June, but I will keep an eye on your thread see what you get :).

Server case were dicks when I dealt with them.  Ordered an overpriced 1U PSU adaptor (a tiny piece of tin with a few holes in it for £6.95 off eBay), which they refused to deliver because I was in Northern Ireland, which is still part of the UK but a different island. They were quoting £20 for delivery. They wouldn't put the thing in an envelope and post it (70p), but took 2 weeks for them to tell me they weren't sending it.  I left neutral feedback on eBay and got a string of angry emails from the owner about it.

I'm left wondering why the owner gets so uppity about a single neutral feedback over a £7 part that probably cost 20p to make.  What would they be like if I had to go back to them about something important?

Edited by HellDiverUK
On 12/04/2018 at 1:02 PM, Tango said:

I have my eye on the 3U 316 Pro from x-case, seems better specced then the logic case equivalent from servercase, ie. backplane supports SGPIO. Just wish they did an ATX power supply version so I don't have to buy a new PSU.

This is very much the problem i've got. The PSU on my existing server is beginning to die - so I could get a new ATX PSU, keep running whilst I continue scoping out a new build. But then I won't be able to use X-Case it seems. Server Case are on my shortlist, but I do note the feedback from @HellDiverUK. Granted, one bad experience doesn't paint the full picture about a company, but it is food for thought.

Not tried Inter-Tech yet - let's see what they've got....

I found this place: http://www.pcicase.co.uk which offers a good range of server cases. But there's no pricing - you have to register to get prices, and they want company name, address, website, etc., etc. So I've no idea if they'll sell to private customers.

Plus I'm reminded of something my Mum constantly said when I was a kid: "if there's no price, we can't afford it - so don't break it!!" 9_9

Thanks for sharing guys!

What I eventually did was ordering my chassis by Xcase. I already had good experiences with Xcase so it was the right thing to do ordering again by Xcase. Good shop, good support, and nice people.

If you have suggestions of good webshops selling server chassis please post them in this thread. So we create a good topic of advice and experiences!

Edited by MvL

Just have to throw in my opinion of Xcases service. To sum it up in two words: They suck! 

I had a broken plastic support for the PCB for the hot swap fan wall. After waiting for a while and asking if they sent it a couple of times I finally got the package. With the wrong parts. Wasn't even for my case. After getting a sorry for the mixup, I have not gotten the part and they don't answer my mails. 

It's almost two years now since I last got a reply. 

Edited by saarg

Okay, that's a bad experience.

My experience is far more beter. I also had a problem they send my a rail set to little. I mailed them, and three days later I received the missing rail set. They even called me, but I missed the call so they left a voice mail with a apology. 

1 hour ago, saarg said:

I don't understand how they can misunderstand anything when I sent them a very clear picture of the part and saying that they sent the wrong part. They even replied that they will send the correct part. 

Is the case still for sale and in stock, so they can pick a part from an existing case?

Because sometimes it can be rather hard to get access to spare parts. I have a Corsair case with a broken hot-swap tray since a couple of years - but Corsair doesn't produce that case anymore and don't have trays available as spare parts.

4 hours ago, pwm said:

Is the case still for sale and in stock, so they can pick a part from an existing case?

Because sometimes it can be rather hard to get access to spare parts. I have a Corsair case with a broken hot-swap tray since a couple of years - but Corsair doesn't produce that case anymore and don't have trays available as spare parts.

The defect part was there from the start and they still had it for sale when I contacted them, so that was not the issue. I haven't checked if they still have it for sale now. 

If they couldn't get the part, it doesn't explain the radio silence. 

My 3U case from www.servercase.co.uk turned up yesterday. Well packaged, solid construction. My only gripe at the moment is the 'accessory box' would be more accurately described as 'a small bag of screws' - it's quite a decent mix to be fair, but if someone was planning a complete 16 HDD build then they may run out of screws for each caddy.

There's 2 additional standoffs in the pack, and there's nine already in place inside the chassis itself. There's plenty of holes that the standoffs can probably be screwed into so almost any motherboard will work.

Then again, I haven't started building the new server yet - so I may hate the chassis by the time I'm finished!!