Mounting disk outside of array

If I mount a disk outside of the protected array - using unMenu or S.N.A.P. . . . is that drive accessible in any way other than using the command line?

What I would like to do is add a hot-swap drive bay to my server and backup my video files to this drive, and then move the drive off site.  I would plug the drive back in once a month or once a quarter or something, backup new files and then move the drive off site again.

I know (at least I think I know) that I can use rsync to accomplish this - but I would prefer that the drive be accessible to something like Syncback that runs on my desktop and carries the backup duties to / from the server currently.  But this requires that the drive be accessible as a network share (i.e. from windows explorer), and I don't know if that's possible on a drive outside the array?

agw

It's possible using additional samba configuration file, smb-extra.cfg. Although I thought SNAP / unMenu provides for this directly.

The contents would resemble something like how each individual share is setup within the file smb-shares.conf.

[Slackware]

path = /mnt/externaldata

If I mount a disk outside of the protected array - using unMenu or S.N.A.P. . . . is that drive accessible in any way other than using the command line?

What I would like to do is add a hot-swap drive bay to my server and backup my video files to this drive, and then move the drive off site.  I would plug the drive back in once a month or once a quarter or something, backup new files and then move the drive off site again.

I know (at least I think I know) that I can use rsync to accomplish this - but I would prefer that the drive be accessible to something like Syncback that runs on my desktop and carries the backup duties to / from the server currently.  But this requires that the drive be accessible as a network share (i.e. from windows explorer), and I don't know if that's possible on a drive outside the array?

agw

I wrote SNAP to do exactly this type of thing.  SNAP will mount and share hotplugged drives to a sharename you set.  The share is a samba share usable both within unRAID and from other network machines.

The latest version of SNAP supports events.  You can have your custom script run automatically after the drive is mounted/shared.