[Solved] Moving drives to a new mobo/cpu

Hey all, right now i am running my server on a Ryzen 5 1600 and a gigabyte mobo but I am going to pick up the Ryzen 7 2700X and a new MSI X470 motherboard. When it comes time to move everything over i had a few questions.

As for the mechanical drives, Do i just need to note the S/N of each drive and what slot in the pool it was or when i move the flash drive over to the new machine will it know all of that? 

For the cache drives, i am also planning on replacing the 2.5" SATA SSD's with m.2 NVME drives. Is my best bet here to temporarily have all 4 drives in the cache pool and then remove the 2.5" drives? (trying to avoid rebuilding my VM's if possible 

any other issues to watch out for? (on 6.4.1 right now fyi)

Edited by Blindsay
changing to Solved
2 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

or when i move the flash drive over to the new machine will it know all of that? 

This.

3 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

For the cache drives, i am also planning on replacing the 2.5" SATA SSD's with m.2 NVME drives. Is my best bet here to temporarily have all 4 drives in the cache pool and then remove the 2.5" drives? (trying to avoid rebuilding my VM's if possible 

You can either replace them or backup cache, replace pool and restore, both procedures are on the FAQ, though if you're passing through anything to the VMs they might need tweaking.

5 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

on 6.4.1 right now fyi

You should upgrade to latest.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

This.

You can either replace them or backup cache, replace pool and restore, both procedures are on the FAQ, though if you're passing through anything to the VMs they might need tweaking.

Thank you, ill upgrade before moving everything over. I have no hardware being passed through to any of the VM's

On 4/18/2018 at 11:04 AM, johnnie.black said:

This.

Up and running on 6.5.0 on the new system, took the time to add another 8TB drive as well. Ended up stuck keeping the existing 2.5" SSD's Thanks again!