No Setup Signature Found on boot after powercut

oferguson

I have just had a power cut and don't have a ups so my server was powered down. I booted up the server but wasn't seeing it on the network so I restarted it and plugged in a monitor. I am getting through the bios which isn't showing any issues that I can see but once unRAID starts to boot i get the first two lines:

Loading /bzimage... ok

loading /bzroot... ok

but the third line says:

No setup signature found...

then nothing more happens. Anyone have any advice?

Are you using UEFI or legacy boot? Have you got Secure Boot enabled? Either use legacy boot or, if you're using UEFI, disable Secure Boot in your BIOS.

Since you had a power outage it's worth plugging your USB boot device into a PC and checking its file system.

18 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Run   chkdsk   (or the Mac equivalent) on the USB drive.  The utility will be checking for a corrupted file or file structure on the USB drive.  

I ran chkdsk  and it came back with errors on the drive. Should I reinstall unRAID on a new thumb drive?

First, copy everything (that will copy ) off of the flash drive to a folder on your PC.   

Second, see if the current flash drive will now boot.   (chkdsk can fix some errors.)

Third, if it does not boot, format that flash drive and reinstall unRAID on the flash drive again.  If you have a backup of the entire flash drive, you could use that IF you haven't added any new Hard Drives to your server since you made the backup.  Be sure that you have a copy of your   .key  file in the config folder/directory.  

Fourth, get a UPS to prevent problem in the future...

Archived