Transfer data from NAS to Unraid Server

supertom44

Hello All.

I am currently in the process of building my first Unraid server, well I will be when the rest of the parts get here.

At the moment I have two Qnap NAS', I was just wondering whats the best way to transfer the data from my NAS' to the hdd on my unraid server?

Cheers.

(a) build your unRAID first with parity disk offline

(b) connect NAS and unRAID to your network (prefer GE network)

© Plan how you are going to organize data in unRAID.

(d) Copy data over from NAS to Unraid through network

(e) Once data copy is done, bring parity disk online in unRAID to kick off parity rebuild

(f) Once parity rebuild is done, your data is safely protected by unRAID now.

(g) Time to retire your NAS.

The unraid server is going to replace the nas.

Thanks for the steps GK20, only reason I asked is someone said to me before doing it that way means you effectively copy the data twice, once from nas to your pc and then from pc to your nas. Didn't know if this was true or not.

Cheers.

Retire the NAS?  :)

I'd use it as a back up for my most precious data.  Family Pics, home video, scanned docs, etc.

You can never have enough backups. Never use just one place to keep items that cannot be replaced. I had 2 drives go out at once on my unraid box & I lost some home movies of my son that cannot ever be replaced. I wish I had backed them up to a different machine. unRaid is a good raid system but it is not foolproof. Nothing is..

only reason I asked is someone said to me before doing it that way means you effectively copy the data twice, once from nas to your pc and then from pc to your nas. Didn't know if this was true or not.

Cheers.

The answer is it depends.

(a) If you can mount NAS in unRAID then the data copy is from NAS directly to unRAID. NAS ---> unRAID.

For example, i have a WD myBook NAS located at 192.168.0.161 and in this NAS i have an exported partition called "public". i then mount this partition in unRAID through following command "mount -t cifs //192.168.0.161/public /mnt/mynas". then i can access this "public" partition at unRAID directly.

(b) If not, then most likely you will need a 3rd computer which can see both NAS and unRAID then you copy data from NAS --> PC --> unRAID

You might need to experience it, it all depends on how can your NAS do in exporting data over network.

• 3 weeks later...

only reason I asked is someone said to me before doing it that way means you effectively copy the data twice, once from nas to your pc and then from pc to your nas. Didn't know if this was true or not.

Cheers.

The answer is it depends.

(a) If you can mount NAS in unRAID then the data copy is from NAS directly to unRAID. NAS ---> unRAID.

For example, i have a WD myBook NAS located at 192.168.0.161 and in this NAS i have an exported partition called "public". i then mount this partition in unRAID through following command "mount -t cifs //192.168.0.161/public /mnt/mynas". then i can access this "public" partition at unRAID directly.

(b) If not, then most likely you will need a 3rd computer which can see both NAS and unRAID then you copy data from NAS --> PC --> unRAID

You might need to experience it, it all depends on how can your NAS do in exporting data over network.

I am going to build my system very soon, and will need to do similar to op.  (Please bare with me, I know nothing about using commands or such) With the above example (a), then you would have a monitor and keyboard hooked to the UnRaid, and from there, move files directly?  Or?  Adn With (b) you would just do copy and paste with Windows, or you would have to?