I need a new server

pinion

Currently running an old supermicro server:

M/B: Supermicro - H8DM8-2
CPU: Six-Core AMD Opteron 2419 EE @ 1800
I have 13 devices in my array and the ability to have 24 in the server.

Everything runs slower than I like. I know I can get into how many plex streams do I need etc... But all I really want is to know what the best value for money is. I run tons of containers and VMs and I'm just ready for an upgrade.

The Opteron is a really slow CPU...

The Question is now: Do you need server-grade hardware or not.

If not, take an i5-8400 or i7-8700 and an ASRock Z370 Extreme4 (max. 64GB-RAM) with 2x16GB DDR4-RAM and done.

If you need ECC-RAM and "more" power, then take a Xeon - but this will be expensive...

I like @Zonediver's suggestion because the newest Intel chips have 6 cores.  Threads are nice but when I hear "tons of containers and VMs" I think something more than a standard 4 core Intel chip is warranted.  Other options - a used Xeon E5 can be a great value, and since you're AMD already I'm sure you're reading up on Ryzen/Threadripper.

Thank you both. That will give me some good jumping off points. My actual needs are going to depend on costs :)

I have looked at the Ryzen cpus. I need to do some more research but this is a big help. Thank you

2 hours ago, pinion said:

Thank you both. That will give me some good jumping off points. My actual needs are going to depend on costs :)

I have looked at the Ryzen cpus. I need to do some more research but this is a big help. Thank you

Beware, if you buy a Ryzen-Sys, you need an extra graphics card which will occupy one slot on your mainboard (or two).

Archived