Help | Added drive now no network connection when unRaid boots up

Hey all i'm not sure what to do... I have my system running for a number of years.. currently its on ver 6.4.0 

Needed to add a drive so I shutdown the server from the webui added the drive but when I powered it on it boots up all the way to the logon, in the cli but the network isnt working. Ive rebooted multiple times with and without the new drive. Googled around a bit but not sure what else to try. 

gurus please help.  

Edited by ToXIc

From the "Need Help" sticky near the top of this same subforum:

On 4/12/2015 at 10:09 PM, RobJ said:

If networking is not working (and you have unRAID v6.0-rc4 or later), then if you can login at the console command prompt, you can type diagnostics, and you will get the same diagnostics.zip file in the /boot/logs folder.  You can then shut down with powerdown and take the flash drive to another computer.

ok well.... what the hell 

gave it another reboot before trying to get the logs and the damn thing came up i've been trying reboots and reseats for 2hrs prior. .. i did however loose a drive.. gotta google whats the best way to replace it... 

i'll leave the array stopped while this 4tb is precleared. 

i've attached the logs, i have no clue as to why the network connection wasnt working. 

fatjoe-diagnostics-20180530-2123.zip

Edited by ToXIc

do you believe its a physical disconnect? i wonder if thats because the Areca failed it. (see attached) it wont let me activate the drive. 

should i slave the drive and run some diagnostics? do you still require the 2nd set of logs? 

Capture.JPG

smart isnt working because i have unraid running as a guest VM in esxi. When i build a physical firewall i'll make unrid the hypervisor. 

i'm preclearing a 4tb drive now. i guess i'll assign it a drive 2 to replace the 3tb and let the array put the data back? 

21 minutes ago, ToXIc said:

do you believe its a physical disconnect? i wonder if thats because the Areca failed it. (see attached) it wont let me activate the drive. 

should i slave the drive and run some diagnostics? do you still require the 2nd set of logs? 

Capture.JPG

That drive model is so infamous it had a class action suite for failures.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001#Class_action

ok so now i may be officially hosed. 

last night the rebuild finished but the shares were not available so i rebooted the array and they came back. so all was good can browse my data etc. 

so i kicked off a parity check and this morning two more drives went into error state. now it seems like the array is locked up.. i can browse the various tabs in the UI but cant get to any data. it wont even run a diagnostics. 

i'm afraid to reboot but i may have to

image.png.12967f11516dd653dfa51ebb241206f5.png 

so i've figured out the network problem. its in ESXi. the work around i've found is to shutdown the vm give it a new adapter and turn off the old. power up then shutdown and go back to the original one then the network will come up fine. 
i've installed the fix common problems plugin and have been going trough that check list. and have been reading many threads about disabled drives.  and since the drives got disabled during a parity check and having the controller crash i'm currently running another parity check and will unassign the drives and reassign them to get rebuilt. 

right now the array is emulating the data fine.