Tom899

Didn't run PreClear

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Posted (edited)

I purchased a WD - easystore® 8TB External, and shucked the drive for my UnRaid server. It happened to be a white drive (WD80EMAZ) so I had to cover pin-3 with Kapton tape, no problem works great.

I read a lot in these forums about the beta PreClear plugin might not be compatible so I didn't do PreClear (I shouldn't be in such a rush!). I have the latest PreClear version now, but too late...

Anyway, Since I was replacing a drive I did a Parity-Check/Rebuild, all turned out well. I then did an Extended SMART test, it finished with no errors.

I wish I would of done a PreClear for peace of mind, now I just hope for the best.

Edited by Tom899

2 hours ago, Tom899 said:

Anyway, Since I was replacing a drive I did a Parity-Check/Rebuild, all turned out well. I then did an Extended SMART test, it finished with no errors.

I wish I would of done a PreClear for peace of mind, now I just hope for the best.

The process of rebuilding will write to the entire surface, and the extended smart test validates that reading the entire surface is ok, so I wouldn't sweat it. Keep an eye on the smart attributes and do a parity check, as long as you get zero errors you are golden.

56 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

The process of rebuilding will write to the entire surface, and the extended smart test validates that reading the entire surface is ok, so I wouldn't sweat it. Keep an eye on the smart attributes and do a parity check, as long as you get zero errors you are golden.

Great! Thank you!!