Some clearity

Looking at giving unRaid a test for home and work use. Just looking for some clarity on purchasing before I take the dive. I did try searching, but I was unable to come up with anything.

Is the license a monthly/yearly or is it a lifetime purchase? I find it strange that the Pricing page isn't actually clear about this.

1 hour ago, Lucannus said:

Is the license a monthly/yearly or is it a lifetime purchase? I find it strange that the Pricing page isn't actually clear about this.

It is a lifetime license for the version that you purchase. That said, in its history Limetech has never charged for updates or version upgrades, and even extended drive limits to existing license types without charging. It's not a stated policy, so at any time they could decide to charge a fee for upgrades, but if they do, I have no doubt that it would be to add a feature set so revolutionary that the charge would be worth it.

TL;DR

Lifetime, with no stated guarantee of perpetual version upgrades. There may well be a guarantee of updates within a version, I can't remember.

3 hours ago, Lucannus said:

Thank's jonathanm! That is what i figured. I think it would be better to state it on their pricing page and include a "*subject to change anytime" clause.

Hi Lucannus!  It actually is stated on the pricing page in the FAQ section:

Will I have to pay for upgrades to newer versions of unRAID as they are released?

No.  All Basic, Plus and Pro registration keys are eligible to run new releases of unRAID Server OS at no additional cost.

1 hour ago, jonp said:

Hi Lucannus!  It actually is stated on the pricing page in the FAQ section:

Will I have to pay for upgrades to newer versions of unRAID as they are released?

No.  All Basic, Plus and Pro registration keys are eligible to run new releases of unRAID Server OS at no additional cost.

Awesome! Obviously I missed the memo ?

Is this a guarantee in perpetuity as long as the company is active?

Would you ever consider adding license tiers with an upgrade fee? Or is Pro always going to be the whole enchilada, whatever that includes?

Any company is able to end the life of one product and begin the life of another with similar or enhanced functionality. Look at all the Windows versions. Windows 95, Windows 2000, and Windows XP are all separate products.

The fact that LimeTech has not released a second product in well over 10 years despite adding features like VM, Docker, dual parity, and others (that many here would agree would have been more than justified) is pretty good evidence that they have no plans to do so in the future, but not a guarantee.