Running midnight commander copy - New user share?

ct1996

So, I ran  "cp -r /mnt/disk1 /mnt/disk3" in midnight commander. 

My goal is to backup the entirety of Disk 1 to Disk 3, as disk 1 is dying. I will rebuild it using parity but I wanted an additional safeguard, so I ran the above command.

So far, it seems to be working great.

The dilemma is that it shows "Disk1" as a new share under shares. It is calling this a High-Water share (NOT WHAT I WANTED!!!) and includes all drives. I would normally just click "Fill-Up" and exclude all disks except disk 3, however since it is titled "Disk1" which is an "unallowed name" I cannot modify any settings.

Is this just a visual error, or will Unraid start to spread the data out on the drive once it reaches 50% on disk 3?

You created "disk1" as a top folder on disk3, hence it appears as a user share in the GUI.

You'll need MC to delete the folder "disk1" on disk3. In the panel of MC go to /mnt/disk3 and select the "disk1" folder then press F8 to delete it.

Now use the other panel in MC and go to /mnt/disk1. Use insert  to select all folders under disk1 and then press F5 to copy them to /mnt/disk3 (the other panel).

Thankyou for your fast reply bonienl. I did as you instructed and deleted the folder using MC - it appears to have stopped trying to fill the folder, too, which is nice. 

I'm having a little trouble copying using the MC terminal. 

I have /mnt/ open in the left pane, and I select disk1 then I click "insert", it highlights disk 1 in yellow. I click tab to get back over to the other pane (right pane) where i'm at /mnt/disk3/ and I click F5.

Nothing happens..? I know my "F" keys are working - F10 closes it just fine.

I'm sure this is my lack of familiarity with Midnight Commander, I apologize.

Edit: I created a directory in MC called "backupdisk1" and it also shows up as a share in GUI. Isn't this just going to do the same thing all over?

7 minutes ago, bonienl said:

Do you use putty to open a terminal window?

The built-in terminal window doesn't work well with mc and not all function keys work properly.

In the left panel you need to go one level deeper and highlight the folders+files under disk1.

I will try it with putty - I was using the built in Terminal window.

Oh, okay, I'll go into Disk 1 and select everything, and try to put it into /mnt/disk3/backupdisk1 . 

I'm a little nervous as it still seems to be trying to pickup backupdisk1 as a share... And I don't want the files just sprawled all over the place in /mnt/disk3/...

But worst case, the filename is now not disk1 and I can just make it a Fill-Up share with only Disk 3... 

Edit: Thanks again for your help :)

Remember that any top folder on a disk automatically becomes a share. So creating /mnt/disk3/backupdisk1 will create the share "backupdisk1".

If you don't want this share to exist on other disks, you can change its settings and set to include disk3 only.

1 minute ago, bonienl said:

Remember that any top folder on a disk automatically becomes a share. So creating /mnt/disk3/backupdisk1 will create the share "backupdisk1".

If you don't want this share to exist on other disks, you can change its settings and set to include disk3 only.

I see.

Is this safe? I know transferring directly from disk to a share is generally a no-no... In this case, the files are exclusively on Disk 1 and will be moved exclusively to a share on Disk 3 that is limited there.

Archived