recent CPU upgrade causes system slowdown?

mathomas3

Hello... 

I am a bit confused... I recently upgraded my AMD Razen CPU from the three to the Razen five... The next morning the system was powered off... Thinking it was a power issue I upgraded the PCU from a 850w to 1200w... 

The system doesnt power off any longer but it does cause system wide slowdown/unresponsiveness... the system will be accessible for 10-15sec then unacceptable for 30secs...

the dashboard says that the the CPUs(8 core) are maxed out while the console (using the top command) says its at 3% usage...

while I am unable to pull a complete system log... what I did get says...nginx error 2088... upstream timed out (connection timeout) while reading response header from upstream...

I have updated unraid to the latest version... upgraded the PSU... 

could this be a BIOS setting that I need to set for the new CPU? I havent looked at that yet... 

Ideas?

You need to give much more information. If you can't get diagnostics you must at least give some detail. What was the old CPU? What is the new?

2000-series Ryzens need a newer BIOS than will work with 1000-series but if you kept up to date before you swapped that shouldn't be a problem.

If it will start up then, with a monitor and keyboard connected wait for the login prompt and login as root (there is no password by default) and type diagnostics. You'll find a zip file in the logs folder on the boot flash device if you plug it into another PC. Attach it to your next post.

Hello and thanks for the reply.... I have attached the diag zip...

This morning they system was unresponsive but still powered on... The nic card had a link light but no activity... Something is causing the high CPU usage.... I am trying to turn off Dockers to see if that solves it...

Or perhaps is docker itself... Does that not get compiled when installed?

tower-diagnostics-20180824-0457.zip

I don't see anything wrong in your diagnostics. There is no high CPU load shown at the time they were grabbed.

You could try disabling dockers in Settings to see if you have something wrong there. Nothing gets compiled at the time of installation. The unRAID distribution is compiled by Limetech and distributed as binaries. Docker containers are downloaded as binaries too.

Your Raven Ridge APU has been supported since BIOS F10 and you have F21 so that shouldn't be a problem. However there have been two updates since that version. You might like to update to F23 here.

Summit Ridge 1000-series Ryzens had a problem where if they entered a certain low power mode they couldn't recover from it. A workaround is detailed in the first post of this thread:

Scroll down to the Known Issues section and read there. Then scroll back up four bullet points of the previous section and you'll see how to implement the zenstates utility. You can also disable C6 in the BIOS. In Pinnacle Ridge 2000-series Ryzen CPUs I believe the problem is fixed. I haven't experienced it with my R7 2700X. But you have a Raven Ridge APU, which is based on the 14 nm Summit Ridge design, rather than the 12 nm Pinnacle Ridge refresh, so it might still be affected. It would be worth adding zenstates to your go file anyway.

I'll give that a shot... I also tried running the system with only Plex and checking parity... And it was stable for 12h... I then cleared out any pending sab dl...

And ran sab,sonarr,Plex.... And it froze sometime last night... hooked up a monitor and keyboard... Nothing... No lights on the USB keyboard and there wasn't any video output either... Completely frozen...

I'm gonna leave them hooked up and try to capture some kind of video error...

Could it be sonarr or sab is causing these errors?

Size of the library causing sonarr errors enough to cause the system to freeze?

1 hour ago, mathomas3 said:

Could it be sonarr or sab is causing these errors?

I don't use them. I use Plex though and it's fine. If they are misconfigured they could cause a crash if they use up all RAM or fill up the root file system. A number of people seem to have problems with them due to misconfiguration - maybe they are complicated to set up.

Archived