increase speed of network programs?

squirrellydw

What would be the best way to increase the speed of some of my programs?  I have a Macbook Pro and especially iPhoto runs slow.  The iPhoto library is about 50 gigs and it takes forever to load up.  I am accessing the iPhoto library from unRAID.  I connect to the server with wired and wireless connections.  Would adding a faster CPU to the server help or is more the the Macbook Pro end?

What would be the best way to increase the speed of some of my programs?  I have a Macbook Pro and especially iPhoto runs slow.  The iPhoto library is about 50 gigs and it takes forever to load up.  I am accessing the iPhoto library from unRAID.  I connect to the server with wired and wireless connections.  Would adding a faster CPU to the server help or is more the the Macbook Pro end?

It will not help.  Being wired while your running iPhoto is your best bet.  I have a 60ish GB iTunes library and it is a dog to first load up.  You are going to be limited by the speed of your connection (wireless being slower than wired).

Define "forever" ???

If you had a really fast wired network connection and you could read at 100 MB/s, it would still take 500 seconds to read 50 gigs. (over 8 minutes)  No CPU change would help...  It would be worse over a wireless network.  They can often connect at 36Mb/s or 24Mb/s  Forever is getting longer.... now we can be talking hours.

Archived