6.6.0-rc1 boot issue

LGXL

I always stuck at loading in first menu when I trying to boot.

In Legacy boot in BIOS,both normal and GUI mode hangs at:

Loading /bzimage... ok

Loading /bzroot...

in UEFI boot,normal option hangs at:

Loading /bzimage... ok

Loading /bzroot...ok

GUI mode hangs at:

Loading /bzimage... ok

Loading /bzroot...ok

Loading /bzroot-gui...ok

What I tried:

1.format flash disk,install unraid os by manual unzip or use USB creator few times.

2.upgraded my "Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming-7" motherboard BIOS to last version.Results are same.

3.changed bios setting,followed hoopster and gamephreak's post in 6.5.0 upgrade problem.Includes

( Changed BIOS Primary Graphics Adapter setting to Onboard (In my BIOS it named IGFX)default after BIOS reset was PCIE)

( Removed all boot priority options besides UEFI on unRaid flash drive)

(Set CSM Enabled )

( Boot Option Filter changed to UEFI and Legacy )There's no "UEFI and Legacy" in my BIOS,so I tried "UEFI" and "Legacy" each time.

I‘m thankful for any support.

Are you using a UBS3 flash Drive?

Are you plugging your Flash Drive into a USB3 port (Blue plastic insert)? 

While neither of these should be a factor, there have been cases where they are.  Try using USB2 drives and ports.

EDIT:  Are you using the latest version of the BIOS.  While I hesitate to recommend updating a BIOS, if there is one, you might want to read over what any upgrade 'fixes'.  

2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Are you using a UBS3 flash Drive?

Are you plugging your Flash Drive into a USB3 port (Blue plastic insert)? 

While neither of these should be a factor, there have been cases where they are.  Try using USB2 drives and ports.

EDIT:  Are you using the latest version of the BIOS.  While I hesitate to recommend updating a BIOS, if there is one, you might want to read over what any upgrade 'fixes'.  

I'm using a usb2.0 flash drive.

Sadly,My motherboard only have 3.0 and 3.1 port at back panel,Although there are 2.0 interfaces on my motherboard,But my case only support SS 3.0 port too.

I‘m using the lastest version of BIOS.nothing really added,only Improvement of existing functions.

I also tried erase and write again then boot on my laptop,It can't boot either.

unRAID OS:

Loading /bzimage... ok

Loading /bzroot...ok

LZMA data is corrupt

-- System halted

unRAID OS GUI Mode:

Loading /bzimage... ok

Loading /bzroot... ok

Loading /bzroot-gui...(stucked)

both booted in Legacy

These are same situation I got on PC.I did couple of erase & write,But I still get different error with fresh files like "LZMA data is corrupt","---[ end trace xxxxxxxxxx ]---", "end kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to Mount Root fs on unknown block 0,0" .Only precious little chance success.But even It booted,I can't power down or one of the errors will appear when rebooting so I have to keep erase and write hope it will success.

Seems not BIOS or port cause it,Should I change another flash drive to test? 

34 minutes ago, LGXL said:

3.0 and 3.1 port at back panel

Use the 3.0.  I've got a Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming and it will not boot at all via the 3.1  IIRC I made zero changes to the BIOS except for disabling the crap like on-board lighting, Serial Port, onboard sound etc.

35 minutes ago, LGXL said:

Although there are 2.0 interfaces on my motherboard,But my case only support SS 3.0 port too

I used the 3.0 until these arrived  https://www.ebay.ca/itm/9Pin-Motherboard-to-Double-Layer-2-Ports-USB2-0-A-Female-Internal-Header-Adapter/252232742317?epid=1078043135&hash=item3aba3e35ad:g:DHQAAOSwWFFbBmm2  Very useful, especially for systems where the USB is permanently plugged in.

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

Try a repair using   chkdsk    on a PC.

I got a error about sector."Some file allocation tables (FAT) are unwriteable." after I formatted flash drive.Is it related to my problem?Could you give me some suggestion to fix it?

3 hours ago, LGXL said:

Seems not BIOS or port cause it,Should I change another flash drive to test?  

1 hour ago, LGXL said:

I got a error about sector."Some file allocation tables (FAT) are unwriteable." after I formatted flash drive.

Why not verify by other USB stick ? Simple as you no need touch the org. one. Trail version already can exam have boot problem or not.

For USB 3 or 2, those not related, it is the issue of USB XHCI EHCI change in chipset ( or no EHCI anymore). So legacy boot would fail on all USB device ( thats why many mainboard have PS2 port, but this just fix KB/Mouse issue ).

But unRAID shouldn't have those problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing the same issue. I turned my server off so it the power outages expected from Hurricane Florence didn't do any damage. Went to turn it back on and it says "System Halted LZMA Data Corrupt" I'm not concerned about the flashdrive as much as the data I have on the tower. My external was dropped by a friend and I can't use it so I was waiting for a new external to come in to back it all up.

If I format a new flashdrive and transfer my license, will my info still be on the drives I didn't change out? I'm relatively new to unraid and not sure exactly what the flashdrive holds.

40 minutes ago, mcross said:

I'm seeing the same issue. I turned my server off so it the power outages expected from Hurricane Florence didn't do any damage. Went to turn it back on and it says "System Halted LZMA Data Corrupt" I'm not concerned about the flashdrive as much as the data I have on the tower. My external was dropped by a friend and I can't use it so I was waiting for a new external to come in to back it all up.

If I format a new flashdrive and transfer my license, will my info still be on the drives I didn't change out? I'm relatively new to unraid and not sure exactly what the flashdrive holds.

How did you "turn it off"? You should always shut down from the webUI if possible so unRAID can unmount the disks and the flash drive.

The only things on flash are the unRAID OS archives (which is exactly like a new install) and your settings. The unRAID OS is unpacked fresh into RAM from those archives at each boot, then your settings (things you configured in the webUI) are applied. All of your data should be fine.

Do you have some reason to suspect you actually need a new flashdrive? Can you read it in your PC? If it is OK you might just try checkdisk on it.

Or if that doesn't fix it, you can try to backup its config folder where all your settings are, then prepare it again as a new install and restore the config folder.

All I can guess is something went wrong with the data on the flash drive. i can still read the data on the drive and it was a clean shutdown from the web GUI. I wanted to prevent the unwanted power outages from turning it off for me. So I should just be able to copy the "config" folder from the drive and reformat using the unraid tool?

Also should I look at using something other than a sandisk ultrafit usb 3.0?

Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, mcross said:

So I should just be able to copy the "config" folder from the drive and reformat using the unraid tool?

Yes

1 hour ago, mcross said:

should I look at using something other than a sandisk ultrafit usb 3.0

If it continues to give problems then maybe so. There have been reports of those running very hot. I have sandisk cruzer fit usb2 16GB in my server and it has been working for years.

Thanks for the help, that worked. So far this has been the only issue I've seen using UNRAID and was just concerned about where the drive assignment was stored at. I knew not much was stored on the USB.

Thanks for the help and bringing me back from changing the setup I have to an ESXI host and completely switching over to VMware.

1 minute ago, mcross said:

where the drive assignment was stored

There is a file on flash, config/super.dat, which contains your drive assignments.

It is a good idea to get a backup of your flash anytime you make any changes in the webUI, especially if you make any changes to drive assignments. You can download a zipped backup of flash at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup

I don't make many drive assignment changes. I'll start making that backup a process I do, though. I had the "I wonder what happens if that drive does kick the bucket..." thoughts before, then just moved on. Now I know it's simpler than I thought it would be. I've got 4x4TB HDDs and a SSD cache. Most of the assignment isn't changing. Just how to access the drives in there.

Thank you again for the help!

Archived