Hide Away Pc Cases

kizer

Honesly I never thought about doing this. I know for most its not even possible with the size of cases, but if you had a deep desk there isn't a reason in the world you couldn't put your PC behind your monitor.  :D

http://www.slashgear.com/lian-li-unveils-pc-q09-and-pc-q09f-hideaway-pc-cases-09101491/

I don't really plan on doing it, but I guess it would get my PC off the floor. Currently its sitting on a piece of wood roughly the size of the PC case to get it off the carpet.

HP makes all-in-one computers too, but they kind of suck.  You can also mount a Revo or similar to the back of a monitor that has VESA mounts.

Personally, I like having my computer visible.  How else would I access the optical and hot swap bays?

Where this interests me is for the kitchen computer design that's been kicking around my head.  If only touchscreens were a bit cheaper...

What putting my Cooler Master 590 on my desk with my monitor in front of it isn't going to look attractive?

Heck the thing is big enough I might as well hang a mount on it and then suspend my monitor from the case. LOL Never mind the UPS on top and plugs sticking out the side.

What putting my Cooler Master 590 on my desk with my monitor in front of it isn't going to look attractive?

Heck the thing is big enough I might as well hang a mount on it and then suspend my monitor from the case. LOL Never mind the UPS on top and plugs sticking out the side.

Now that's an idea. A PC Case U bracket that has a Vesa monitor mount.

Who needs a stand when you have a PC case?

Actually I kinda like the whole thin looking monitor floating design of LCD's with the hidden PC and wireless keyboard/mouse.

I do have an HP Thin client in my living room for that type of design.

I've often thought about a monitor/computer in my kitchen. But after some time it will end up being caked with grease from the heat and cooking.

A friend of mine has a laptop in his store, after a few months it is always caked with grease from the cooking.

Personally, I like having my computer visible.  How else would I access the optical and hot swap bays?

I've been getting away from this design.

I have a large server for disk space, an ITX server in the other room to load DVD/CD's onto the disk space.

Thin clients or Laptops around to access the data as needed.

The only difference in this mentality has been the XBMC HTPC.

I have storage on that server to back up my music in the even the unRAID server is offline.

I've thought about mounting my console monitor onto the side of my unRAID case, just because it would look pretty cool and be very compact.  However, I often carry it around with me on various jobs, so I've needed to keep it mobile.

For my kitchen computer I plan on having it all touchscreen (no keyboard, mouse, or remote) and hopefully coated in some sort of easy-to-clean spray-on film (teflon?  I have no idea).  Ideally I would like to have it wall-mounted above the range, but I expect the heat off the oven/range would be problematic.  Perhaps I could also mount it on an angle mount on the underside of a cabinet.  It is all just speculation at this point.

Ideally I would like to have it wall-mounted above the range, but I expect the heat off the oven/range would be problematic.  Perhaps I could also mount it on an angle mount on the underside of a cabinet.  It is all just speculation at this point.

I've seen laptops in this close proximity get melted.

Keep it away from the fire and grease. Keep in mind any form of frying releases grease.

If you can smell it, it's gonna stick some where. (and it will be sticky).

Often on Ebay and local PC recycle shops you can normally pick up ELO touchscreens around $100. I've bought two locally. 1) I use in a Home Made Jukebox and the second well I'm using it for a LCD monitor because my other monitor burned up.

The first one was de-cased so there where mounting screws on the sides of the monitor and all it took was cutting out a square hole in a piece of wood and flush mounting the monitor.

I thought about building a low powered low heat generated PC and hide either in a Cabinet or on top of the cabinet so it could exhaust and either cutting a square hole in a cabinet or have a custom wooden frame built that would pivot down and lock so it could be touched without it trying to tuck back up under the cabinet.

Awesome kizer!  I would be very interested to see pics of your jukebox!

Regarding heat, I've been trying to figure out a way to build a computer underneath my snake cage, then use the heat from the computer to heat the cage.  Why throw away heat from my PC while simultaneously paying to heat the cage?

Awesome kizer!  I would be very interested to see pics of your jukebox!

Regarding heat, I've been trying to figure out a way to build a computer underneath my snake cage, then use the heat from the computer to heat the cage.  Why throw away heat from my PC while simultaneously paying to heat the cage?

A while back I thought about using the vent tubing (like they use for dryers) to exhaust the hot air out the window. I was going to duct tape it to the power supply exhaust. This way the heat would not even be in the room.  Perhaps you could "rig" it.  I know there is quite a bit of heat from the back of my machines.

So much so that when I go under the desk to do any form of maintenance, I start to sweat really bad.

So much so that when I go under the desk to do any form of maintenance, I start to sweat really bad.

Fear will do that...  but ... you can get therapy  ... and not fear the snakes ... most are harmless, except for the ones that are not.

<oops>Sorry... that was the other person whose server was under the snake cage</oops>

With all the talk about Kitchen PCs I remembered this story I read about sometime ago:

http://www.studio-lights.com/blog/iphone-inspired-kitchen-touchscreen-computer.htm

Although I think cost wise it might be cheaper to just get a wifi iPad?

Thanks for that link!  That's quite an inspiring project.  I agree that an iPad is probably the easiest and best solution, though, considering a good quality touch screen will cost about as much.  However, the iPad's lack of USB support means that a lot of the add-ons that he used (such as barcode scanning) wouldn't be possible.