unraid 6.0 beta

Lon

My boss built this unraid server with the beta format. The gui has become unresponsive, the shares aren't accessed by the network, you can't putty into the server, and the ping comes back as destination host unreachable. Yes it is connected to the network and powered on. Where do i start with rebuilding it and still using the data stored on the drives. Can i rebuild it or do i start from scratch and lose the data? Should i run a fdisk on the flash drive and see what happens?

Any ideas would help. I didnt build it so i don't have much info on it.  It does have 5 drives of which 4 are lit. It runs from usb drive. Where do I start? And of course he isn't here to fix it.

Start by connecting a monitor and keyboard to the server and see what is on the screen.  If there is a login prompt, log in and type    diagnostics    at the command line.  That will write a file to the   logs   directory on the USB Flash Drive.  Upload that file with your next post.

If you don't have a login prompt, tell us what is on that screen or, better yet, take a sharp, clear photo of the screen.  

I would shut the server down.  (Quick press of the power switch will shut it down gracefully which is preferred.  Graceful shutdown can take several minutes and you will see the commands being run.  Holding the power switch down for more than five seconds will force a shutdown even if the server is locked up.)  Then pull the flash and take to another computer.  

Honestly, what is your endgame here?

That version is years out of date, which leads me to believe the hardware is pretty ancient as well. How is the fan and heat situation? Dust?

The diagnostics command wasn't a thing back then, so no wonder it didn't run.

Good news though, if you want to use the new version of unraid on new hardware, that license will still be valid. I'd shut down properly, pull the flash drive and make a full backup to keep on file.

Archived