Share uses cache-drive although it shouldn't

majbom

Hi

I got this message from Fix Common Problems: "Share video set to not use the cache, but files / folders exist on the cache drive". So I checked the settings which were correct ("use cache drive": no). I moved the files using unBALANCE, and finally removed the folder "video" from the cache-drive. But after I moved some files to my video-share, it uses the cache drive again.

I have 2 4TB HDDs; one is completely full and the other has a lot of free space (> 2TB) - both of the drives are included for the video share.

Why does unraid keep using the cache drive for this share?

48 minutes ago, majbom said:

Why does unraid keep using the cache drive for this share?

Perhaps something (a docker container, for example) is configured to write directly to the cache. Maybe you have a mapping that points to /mnt/cache/video instead of /mnt/user/video. There's no need to run Unbalance to move the files. Change the setting to "use cache drive: yes" and run the Mover, then set it back to "use cache drive: no". Occasionally a setting might get corrupted if there's a problem writing to your boot flash device so toggling it to "yes" and back to "no" can fix it. Post your diagnostics.

Edited by John_M
On 11/13/2018 at 12:11 PM, John_M said:

Perhaps something (a docker container, for example) is configured to write directly to the cache. Maybe you have a mapping that points to /mnt/cache/video instead of /mnt/user/video. There's no need to run Unbalance to move the files. Change the setting to "use cache drive: yes" and run the Mover, then set it back to "use cache drive: no". Occasionally a setting might get corrupted if there's a problem writing to your boot flash device so toggling it to "yes" and back to "no" can fix it. Post your diagnostics.

I think I found the problem;

Krusader was using "/mnt" instead of "/mnt/user".

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, majbom said:

It's been a while, but the problem still exist.

I've downloaded my diagnostics, how should I post it? A link to the zip-file, or do you only need one of the files in it?

Thanks

Post the whole zip file (do not use an external site).  It often takes looking at many files to diagnose a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to re-install Krusader (including removing the folder from appdata), as I suspect it to be the problem.

But the problem remains.

The files shows up on the cache drive (/mnt/cache/video/) when I move files (with Krusader) from a share on /mnt/user/ (/mnt/user/Downloads/) to another share on /mnt/user/ (/mnt/user/video/)

The "video" share has following settings:

"Use cache" - "No"

"Included disks" - "Disk 1, Disk 3"

"Excluded disks" - "None"

and there is over 1TB free space on Disk 1 + 3.

What am I missing?

22 minutes ago, majbom said:

I've tried to re-install Krusader (including removing the folder from appdata), as I suspect it to be the problem.

But the problem remains.

The files shows up on the cache drive (/mnt/cache/video/) when I move files (with Krusader) from a share on /mnt/user/ (/mnt/user/Downloads/) to another share on /mnt/user/ (/mnt/user/video/)

The "video" share has following settings:

"Use cache" - "No"

"Included disks" - "Disk 1, Disk 3"

"Excluded disks" - "None"

and there is over 1TB free space on Disk 1 + 3.

What am I missing?

Does the Downloads share use the cache?   If so that is expected behaviour when using Krusader as it works at the Linux level and is not aware of User  Shares and can bypass them.   As far as Krusader is concerned  both source and destination are on a common mount point of /mnt/user so it tries initially to do a 'move' (i.e. rename) for speed and only if that fails does it try a copy + delete operation.   The 'move' operation will leave the file on the same disk thus explaining your symptoms.

The solutions are to either do a copy + delete in Krusader, or set the 'video' share to Use Cache = Yes so that mover will later move the file from cache to array.

11 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Does the Downloads share use the cache?   If so that is expected behaviour when using Krusader as it works at the Linux level and is not aware of User  Shares and can bypass them.   As far as Krusader is concerned  both source and destination are on a common mount point of /mnt/user so it tries initially to do a 'move' (i.e. rename) for speed and only if that fails does it try a copy + delete operation.   The 'move' operation will leave the file on the same disk thus explaining your symptoms.

The solutions are to either do a copy + delete in Krusader, or set the 'video' share to Use Cache = Yes so that mover will later move the file from cache to array.

The Download share does use the cache. Actually I had it written in my post, but deleted it again, as I figured it couldn't be that :D

I think I'll disable cache on Downloads then, as I don't want it to be filled with "video"-stuff, leading to other shares can't use it.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

24 minutes ago, majbom said:

I think I'll disable cache on Downloads then, as I don't want it to be filled with "video"-stuff, leading to other shares can't use it.

Actually I would probably recommend setting the 'videos' share to Use Cache = Yes as that way you maximise downloads speed initially but then mover later transfers the video material across from the cache to the array which is its long term home.   Having said that you want to optimise for your actual expected usage pattern across the Unraid server as a whole.

2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Actually I would probably recommend setting the 'videos' share to Use Cache = Yes as that way you maximise downloads speed initially but then mover later transfers the video material across from the cache to the array which is its long term home.   Having said that you want to optimise for your actual expected usage pattern across the Unraid server as a whole.

Done - thanks for the tip!