copy interrupted - how to confirm correct copy

jonF

its working. but not correctly. Its copying everything from that disck into the share "drives" . And it duplicate all of the files of the disk into that share. 

I need to compare what is in the disk "Events_1" to a folder in the share "drives" called  "Events_1" and copy the missing files from the disk to that folder inside the share. 

How do I stop the process at this point?

6 minutes ago, jonF said:

its working. but not correctly. Its copying everything from that disck into the share "drives" . And it duplicate all of the files of the disk into that share. 

I need to compare what is in the disk "Events_1" to a folder in the share "drives" called  "Events_1" and copy the missing files from the disk to that folder inside the share. 

How do I stop the process at this point?

You should be able to abort the rsync by pressing Ctrl-C at the command line.

Of course, the command you entered specified copying into the share. It didn't say anything about copying to a folder within the share.

It's a good idea to try to understand anything you enter at the Linux command line since it is very powerful and not designed to save you from yourself.

25 minutes ago, jonF said:

would this be correct?

rsync -av --progress /mnt/disks/Events_1/ /mnt/drives/Events_1/

Close. Go back to the *LAST* example johnnie.black gave and see if you can figure out what you left out.

As mentioned, you can google rsync. I would have to google it myself to remember the exact meaning of some of the "switches" since I don't type it often. I think -av means archive verbose but I would check if I were you.

After the --progress switch, you have 2 paths, the source path and the (incorrect) destination path.

I already explained Unraid paths

8 hours ago, trurl said:

The actual paths to your array disks are /mnt/disk1, /mnt/disk2, ..., the path to cache is /mnt/cache, the path to Unassigned mounts is /mnt/disks, the path to user shares is /mnt/user.

53 minutes ago, jonF said:

Thanks for hanging in there with me. 

Thanks so much for the guidance!!!

Under users is there is only one. the name is "root" 

How bout this 

rsync -av --progress /mnt/disks/Events_1/ /mnt/root/drives/Events_1/

No that's not it.

The "users" you are referring to there are the users that are allowed access to Unraid. It is the "user shares" we are talking about, which are the shares (network folders) Unraid makes available. You have a user share named "drives". See my previous explanation of Unraid paths for where the user shares are and put that together with the rsync command  you used earlier for copying to a user share, except you want to get to a lower level in that path, which is a folder within that user share.

I seldom use the terminal window since it is a new feature and I have been using ssh with puTTY for years. Even there you have to be running in a screen session to allow it to disconnect and reconnect. I assume screen would be required for the terminal window also. You can install screen from the Nerd Pack and google 'linux screen command' for how it works.

• 8 months later...

Hi 

I used this a while ago but am now not sure of something that you all said. 

If I use this at the c prompt  rsync -av --progress /mnt/disks/Events_1/ /mnt/user/drives/Events_1/

and then interrupt the copy and restart the copy will it only copy the remaining files? If I run it immediately after the copy is complete will it just do nothing having confirmed that all the files are the same in each? If that is not what this code will do can someone give me the code that could do that please. 
Thanks!!!

Jonf