Media Share for Plex etc

rmilyard

I have a 16 drive system with 2 parity drives.  Also 1.5tb of SSD storage for my appdata/dockers etc.  

Here is how my Media share is setup in picture.  I am fixing that also all the time when media is written to the array it is mostly disk 1 or 4.  I am having to move media all the time to free up space on these drives.  Do I have it setup somehow wrong?

Capture.JPG

Do you mean you have to move data because the disks are getting TOO full? Or do you just mean you are moving data because the disks aren't being used equally? Click on the text that says "Allocation Method" for an explanation of High-water. It confuses a lot of people.

You might think changing it to "Most-free" would be a good idea, but that can just result in Unraid being forced to keep more disks spinning. High-water is the default because it is a good compromise for spreading your data around without spinning up more disks.

3 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you mean you have to move data because the disks are getting TOO full? Or do you just mean you are moving data because the disks aren't being used equally? Click on the text that says "Allocation Method" for an explanation of High-water. It confuses a lot of people.

You might think changing it to "Most-free" would be a good idea, but that can just result in Unraid being forced to keep more disks spinning. High-water is the default because it is a good compromise for spreading your data around without spinning up more disks.

It seems to always want to write media to these 2 disk. In the past who had only like 6 drives it would write to one till around 70% then move to next till the same. 

Now i keep needimg to move files from drive getting filled past 70%

2 hours ago, trurl said:

Thanks this helped. I think High-Water is my best option. 

Now trying to to figure out how best use Split level. I have a media share. Within that share I have folders for Movies, TV Shows, Music and Photos. Within the Movies and TV Shows I have folder for each movie and each tv series.  So would Split level 2 be best?  Also since I had setup as automatic split and have been using array for sometime now can I change it now?  How do I fix all the media already stored on array?

The purpose of Split Level is simply to prevent having to wait for another disk to spin up when you are in the middle of something. For example if you are binge watching a TV series and you don't want to wait the few seconds for another disk to spin up when starting the next episode. I personally don't bother with it. Others may have a different opinion.

Perhaps back in the day when disks were smaller and files were too you would get a movie or a music album split and it would be annoying to wait. If you are using High-water splitting is less likely anyway.

All User Share settings, including this one, only affect where new files get written.

Archived