New Ryzen Build

I've begun my journey into unRAID and wanted to document my progress and learning. I have used Windows/MacOS over the years but haven't really touch linux. My previous server was an i5-760 with 8GB RAM and some random drives thrown added each time I ran out of space. No backup, no redundancy.

New build consists of the following:

Case: Fractal Design R5

Motherboard: MSI Arctic Mortar B350

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G

CPU Cooler: Stock zen cooler

RAM: Crucial 2133Mhz DDR4 24GB (3x8GB)

PSU: Corsair 650W Modular

SAS Card: lsi 9211-8i flashed to IT mode

Cache Pool: 2 x 250GB Samsung 860 Evo in Raid 0

Parity Drive: 8TB Seagate Ironwolf

Data Drives: 8TB Seagate Ironwolf

4TB Seagate Ironwolf

4TB Seagate Ironwolf

2TB WD Drive (with over 5500 hours uptime)

2TB WD Drive (with over 5500 hours uptime)

Array Size: 20TB

Current Usage: 6.8TB

Pictures:

to be uploaded

Docker Containers:

Plex

Tuatulli

Ombi

Sabnzbd

Sonarr

Radarr

delugevpn (with Sonarr and Radarr pointing to the PIA proxy)

LazyLibrarian

calibre rdp

Krusader

Plugins:

to be updated

Things to be done:

Get Ombi to work correctly via app. Can't work it out. have posted in the support thread

Would love to get lazylibrarian working but it just doesn't seem to find books

Learn other new things.

Still debating whether I run pfsense in a VM or a seperate box

Need to purchase a UPS (unsure of which one)

Post will be updated tonight when I get home from work...

Edited by brightside
1 hour ago, binhex said:

My vote is physical box for pfsense, imho I think key infrastructure should always be sperate, but other people will probably disagree.

Agree, to some extent. I have an older box with pfsense loaded and configured that I can boot if my VM doesn't. If everything with the VM is working properly, I get the advantage of using already powered hardware, and a much faster CPU with more RAM. If the VM is problematic, the transition is seamless save for more power consumed and download speeds suffer. In an ideal world I guess I would update my pfsense hardware, but that costs $$$ and the VM only costs time to set it up.

6 hours ago, binhex said:

My vote is physical box for pfsense, imho I think key infrastructure should always be sperate, but other people will probably disagree.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is what i'm more leaning towards. Simply for the fact that if I need to take the server offline (upgrade drives, install new parts etc.) then i'm taking the internet down. If a part fails and the server is down for a few days then i have to reconfigure the network to keep the internet up.

5 hours ago, brightside said:
This is what i'm more leaning towards. Simply for the fact that if I need to take the server offline (upgrade drives, install new parts etc.) then i'm taking the internet down. If a part fails and the server is down for a few days then i have to reconfigure the network to keep the internet up.

Yes that's my reasoning too I don't want everything to stop working just because I need to do some maintenance on my unraid server.

As for Jonathan well he is obviously far too rich and can afford to buy hardware and run a VM . one question for you seriously though how do you manage to keep the configuration of pfsense in sync between your hardware instance and your VM? Manual exports and imports perhaps

also what happens if you needed to cut over to your hardware box won't you then have to deal with DHCP leases and options specified for DNS etc and reconfigure each device or at least reboot each device in order to pick up a new lease

FWIW i have a Qotom Q355G4 5300U NO WiFi and its really awesome, runs silent (fanless), CPU usage for me sits around 5% to 20%, so lots of head room (can handle vpn tunnel at gigabit speeds), and memory usage is also very low, i put it in 45 days ago and its not dropped my connection once, i love it.

Edited by binhex
3 hours ago, binhex said:

As for Jonathan well he is obviously far too rich and can afford to buy hardware and run a VM emoji16.pngemoji16.png. one question for you seriously though how do you manage to keep the configuration of pfsense in sync between your hardware instance and your VM? Manual exports and imports perhaps

Heh. I am using an OLD spare machine as my backup pfsense box. Since the DHCP info was migrated from the hardware to the VM, I just make sure when I add a new device I fire up the old hardware and make the same changes. I've never had any issues, since the IP's are defined as static DHCP. The guest network drops everyone, but who cares.

The only issue I originally had was a poorly defined gateway detection rule in my unifi wireless config. The stoopid access points would turn off their SSID's if the internet was down, which meant I had to boot up a wired box with a static IP, or find one that had a valid DHCP lease to manage / troubleshoot the network if the internet gateway dropped. I have since fixed that by defining the watched IP to be my unraid box running the unifi docker, that way the access points are up even if my cable modem has a heart attack.

3 hours ago, binhex said:

FWIW i have a Qotom Q355G4 5300U NO WiFi and its really awesome

If I could afford that, I wouldn't have to set up a VM to get decent VPN throughput.