New disk, yet disabled

troymeredith

HI there,

I've had my unraid server for a while now, but i am far from an expert - hence this message. A couple of weeks ago, i replaced a drive because i appeared to have failed.  Inserted the new drive and performed a preclear on it.  It reached 100% then failed.

Not sure what to do or how to proceed.  I attach my diagnostics in the hope that someone more knowledgable than me can detect the issue, provide a little guidance and send me on my way.

Thanks in advance. 

tower-diagnostics-20181223-1734.zip

First give us the last four digits of the serial number of the drive which failed.  

Second, describe what you mean by "It reached 100% then failed.".  Did the the drive fail?  Of did the preclear operation fail to complete?  Were you using the preclear plugin or the preclear script (uses the Command Line)?  

19 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

First give us the last four digits of the serial number of the drive which failed.  

Second, describe what you mean by "It reached 100% then failed.".  Did the the drive fail?  Of did the preclear operation fail to complete?  Were you using the preclear plugin or the preclear script (uses the Command Line)?  

Last 4 digits of s/n: K0DY

The preclear failed to complete, i used the plugin.

Stop the array, unassign the disk, start the array, stop the array, re-assign the disk, start the array to begin rebuilding, if the rebuild fails grab the diags before rebooting.

P.S,; Like mentioned, disk1 is empty, you still need to rebuild to turn the array healthy, but there's not data there

12 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Stop the array, unassign the disk, start the array, stop the array, re-assign the disk, start the array to begin rebuilding, if the rebuild fails grab the diags before rebooting.

P.S,; Like mentioned, disk1 is empty, you still need to rebuild to turn the array healthy, but there's not data there

just tried, got to about 1.5% before the rebuild failed 😞

On 12/25/2018 at 11:13 AM, johnnie.black said:

There are ATA errors on 3 different disks, so it's likely a power or connection problem, since it's a Microserver there's only one mini SAS cables, make sure it's well attached, and if that doesn't help try with a different PSU and/or a new cable.

Checked cabling, made sure everything was connected (pulled apart and then re-inserted) and powered on the server.  Currently rebuilding and has gone further than previous attempts.  Looking hopeful, but I'll keep an eye on it.  Will keep you updated.  Thanks for all your help!! 😊

15 hours ago, troymeredith said:

Checked cabling, made sure everything was connected (pulled apart and then re-inserted) and powered on the server.  Currently rebuilding and has gone further than previous attempts.  Looking hopeful, but I'll keep an eye on it.  Will keep you updated.  Thanks for all your help!! 😊

Archived