Unraid Cache disk temperature

piratx

Hello everyone. I am a new user here coming from synology and Open Media Vault, I must say at first that this is an awesome-amazing project, I couldn't believe that this software would work so easy.

So in this awesome software I think I am having a small issue, when I am trying to move data from my computers and old disks over the UNRAID I am getting errors like:

Event: Unraid Cache disk temperature
Subject: Warning [ELEVEN] - Cache disk is hot (51 C)
Description: Samsung_SSD_750_EVO_250GB_S33SNWAH407240N (sde)
Importance: warning

Of course I have already most of my TB of data before I setup parity and cache but havent moved everything yet and I was afraid to keep things there without a parity drive.

So, for now I am using 2 Samsung SSDs 240GB each that I had lying around the office but I am thinking to get 2x 525GB Crucial. Those 2 SSDs are always sending me mails about temp and they have reached 57 C 2-3 times so far. The temperature thing is not the only issue, I suppose everything I copy from external disk or other computers on the network goes first on cache and then moved with the Mover forced or by schedule.

At that time I am getting a few mails about cache is going to be full http://snpy.in/lKCKfm

and after that these messages (input/output error) are coming continuously.

Should I change my settings/disks or something? :)

Thanks in advance.

32 minutes ago, piratx said:

So, for now I am using 2 Samsung SSDs 240GB each that I had lying around the office but I am thinking to get 2x 525GB Crucial. Those 2 SSDs are always sending me mails about temp and they have reached 57 C 2-3 times so far.

Many SSDs seem to run hot so that may not be a problem.

There are two places to set the temperature warning limits in Unraid.     One is at global level under Settings->Disk Settings.     You can then (optionally) over-ride this for individual drives by clicking on the drive in question on the Main tab.

34 minutes ago, piratx said:

I suppose everything I copy from external disk or other computers on the network goes first on cache and then moved with the Mover forced or by schedule.

Whether files go via the cache is determined by whether you have Use Cache=Yes for the share in question.    If set to No then files will go directly to the array.

It is also a good idea to have a Minimum Free Space setting for the cache (under Settings->Global Share settings) that is at least as the largest file you intend to transfer.     When the free space on the cache drops below this value then any further files are written directly to the array by-passing the cache.  When you start writing a file Unraid has no idea how large it will be so if it will not fit on the drive selected as a target you will get an error when the drive runs out of space.  Setting a suitable Minimum Free Space avoids you getting such failures writing files when cache space gets low at the expense of lower write performance until mover is run to free up cache space.

Thank you guys! Very helpful information. Seems that my 750 EVO temperature is normal

The Samsung SSD 750 EVO 250GB drive had an idle temperature of 24C and topped out at 57C when doing 10 minutes of 128KB sequential writes across the entire drive with IOMeter.

while 850 EVO

Operating:0°C to 70°C

Non-Operating:-40°C to 85°C

this is the info I managed to find from reviews etc.

Another thing about temp, I am using NXZT H440 Midi-tower for unraid and I have 3 fans in front of the Disks and one on the rear, of course I am using a fan on the cpu and that is the big problem, the CPU fan seems that it's always on full speed, is there something I can check about that or is it normal for my CPU/mobo ? Also, I have managed many times to hit red in all bars. What you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2019-01-14 at 12.29.48 AM.jpeg