New Nas user quick questions

tonytone6929

Hello You all, 

SO this is my first time using anything NAS related. I have built my custom NAS box yesterday and so far i like it. 

real quick rundown on specs:

Xeon d 1541 modo

128GB of ecc ddr4 (over kill)

6x 8TB helium filled disk, 1 ssd

node 304  case 

lsi sata card

now my home network:

i live in a area where internet is still stuck in the 1940's: DSL@ 8mb down and 0.6 up and we are in a new built subdivision!

i bought this house about 2 years ago and i regret it month one after finding out the only thing we have here is century link maxed out and can't upgrade at all. So i will be moving in the next 7 months just solely because of the internet lol. i am a gamer and all the above and i need good internet for studies and people at my house using the internet. 

anyways, 

i thought that having a NAS you can transfer data and not use bandwidth for your internet connection(outside world). if i am wrong about this please let me know. 

but my issue is when i am transferring from my PC to the NAS wirelessly, yes it is slow to transfer, but if i am playing a game online, i can immediately feel speed drop of my internet. the game starts to lag and it's unplayable. browsing the internet is not a thing while transferring either. 

unless there is something i am doing wrong, but i have not played too much with the settings. my NAS is plugged into my router, and my PC is wireless transferring to it. 

sorry if this was a dumb question, but if someone can explain this to me i would really thank you. 

What you are seeing is the reality of wireless. If you connect your PC directly wired to the router you wouldn't see the effect as much, but as it is right now your server can easily saturate the entire wireless link leaving little for your internet.

You might be slightly better off with the latest gen wireless at both ends, but for all practical purposes, wifi sucks compared to a wired GB connection. The numbers make it seem like it can compete, but real world performance doesn't ever seem to match the ideal transfer rates.

3 hours ago, jonathanm said:

What you are seeing is the reality of wireless. If you connect your PC directly wired to the router you wouldn't see the effect as much, but as it is right now your server can easily saturate the entire wireless link leaving little for your internet.

You might be slightly better off with the latest gen wireless at both ends, but for all practical purposes, wifi sucks compared to a wired GB connection. The numbers make it seem like it can compete, but real world performance doesn't ever seem to match the ideal transfer rates.

yeah i know i knew wireless is a botttlenck. i own this home but i honeslty dont feel like throwing cat cable since we do plan to move hopefully. 

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Is this all going through a router provided by your archaic ISP? Maybe it is so out-of-date it really can't deal with much. You could separate your local traffic onto its own router and bridge to theirs for internet.

yes all is going thru my provider. and since its a dsl router i dont have much choices because its DSL. 

how could i seperate it? i guess i could figure this out. im trying to picture trying to seperate both

You might want to try getting a set of powerline ethernet adaptors and plug one end to the dsl router.

then plug the other end where your pc is. this should give you better speeds than wifi, and still not take up wifi bandwidth, thereby not interfering with internet access.

I use a pair when I can't run lines, but power wiring in my country is usually limited to the 2 wires, thus the slower 2 prong models, capping max throughput to 100mbps (Fast ethernet)

• 4 weeks later...