New Plan Key with an Existing Build

I plan to be buying a new Pro plan key for my new build and want to make sure that my understanding will work.

Background: I have a Basic plan key and am currently using and will be upgrading to a new build and plan as I will need to utilize more drives. I want to keep the Basic plan key for a surveillance server with the old hardware I've been using (with the exception of drives as they will be moving to the new build and will buy a few WD Purples).

My question is, can I purchase a Pro key, register that on my current flash drive that will be used with new hardware, and transfer my Basic key to a new flash drive that will be used on the old hardware?

I'd like not to upgrade the basic plan as I have a use for both plans and want to be cost efficient.

16 minutes ago, TheInfamousWaffles said:

My question is, can I purchase a Pro key, register that on my current flash drive that will be used with new hardware, and transfer my Basic key to a new flash drive that will be used on the old hardware?

Don't think so, I believe you could only upgrade existing licence for the same flash drive, you can buy the pro licence for a new flash drive and then transfer current config to it, then redo the old one to start fresh with its licence.

14 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Don't think so, I believe you could only upgrade existing licence for the same flash drive, you can buy the pro licence for a new flash drive and then transfer current config to it, then redo the old one to start fresh with its licence.

Appreciate the quick reply, but I'd like something more solid.

I don't see why a previous key would affect adding/overwriting with a new key. Isn't that the same thing that happens when you upgrade a key anyway?

Edited by TheInfamousWaffles

You cannot get a new key for an existing drive without going the upgrade route as the key is tied to flash drive's GUID and you already have the Basic one tied to it!    The problem is that the upgrade I slightly more than the difference in initial purchase of the different key types. 

As was mentioned the easiest (and cheapest) thing to do would be to create a new Flash drive with the new Pro key, and then copy across the config folder from the current flash drive to the new one.     That will effectively transfer all your settings, etc to the new flash drive with the new key.