Continuously Failing Preclear - 10TB Ironwolf

Hello,

I recently bought a 10TB Ironwolf hard drive off Amazon.  I Installed the hard drive into my unraid server and ran the preclear plugin for 3 passes to test the drive, as I have done with all past hard drives in my unraid server. The preclear failed on the 3rd pass post-read. I RMA'd the failed preclear drive and got two new ones. I popped the first new drive into unraid, ran a 3 pass prelcear and it also failed the preclear on the 3rd pass post-read. To make sure it wasn't some sort of preclear bug, I updated unraid to 6.6.7 and upgraded the preclear plugin to 2019.03.10 and ran preclear on the third brand new drive. The third drive also failed preclear on the 3rd pass post-read. When I try to run a SMART short self-test on the drive, I click on the START button and it quickly flashes to STOP and then back to START again. There is nothing in the Capabilities section but the message "Can not read capabilities". It is as if the SMART short self-test never actually started.

I have had drives in the past fail pre-clear, sometimes even 2 or 3 out of a batch of 10. But the fact that all 3 fail in the 3rd pass post-read and I can't seem to run a SMART short self-test, I am wondering if something else might be going on. I have tested the 16GB of RAM in the server using memtest without any errors and tried different SATA cables and ports to try rule out anything obvious. 

Any thoughts as to what might be going on and what I should do next? Should I take the preclear failures as a real indication of possible drive problems and RMA the second and third drive?

I appreciate any and all help!

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I read that bad RAM was often the culprit so I checked that after upgrading unraid and the preclear plugin. I ran the memtest for over 96hrs. I guess I can try and run it longer if nothing else seems obvious. When I download the SMART report there isn't any information beyond the specs of the drive. There is nothing listed in the SMART self-test history and the Last SMART test result reads "No self-tests logged on this disk". That is what makes me think the test is not really running. I have copied and pasted the information in the downloaded SMART report below.

smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-4.18.20-unRAID] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate IronWolf
Device Model:     ST10000VN0004-1ZD101
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0b2b8d6fd
Firmware Version: SC60
User Capacity:    10,000,831,348,736 bytes [10.0 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
Form Factor:      3.5 inches
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-3 T13/2161-D revision 5
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Thu Mar 21 08:56:45 2019 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Disabled
AAM feature is:   Unavailable
APM feature is:   Unavailable
Rd look-ahead is: Enabled
Write cache is:   Enabled
DSN feature is:   Unavailable
ATA Security is:  Disabled, frozen [SEC2]
Wt Cache Reorder: Enabled

SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
(override with '-T permissive' option)

4 minutes ago, UnRaid_11318 said:

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I read that bad RAM was often the culprit so I checked that after upgrading unraid and the preclear plugin. I ran the memtest for over 96hrs. I guess I can try and run it longer if nothing else seems obvious. When I download the SMART report there isn't any information beyond the specs of the drive. There is nothing listed in the SMART self-test history and the Last SMART test result reads "No self-tests logged on this disk". That is what makes me think the test is not really running. I have copied and pasted the information in the downloaded SMART report below.

smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-4.18.20-unRAID] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate IronWolf
Device Model:     ST10000VN0004-1ZD101
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0b2b8d6fd
Firmware Version: SC60
User Capacity:    10,000,831,348,736 bytes [10.0 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
Form Factor:      3.5 inches
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-3 T13/2161-D revision 5
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Thu Mar 21 08:56:45 2019 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Disabled
AAM feature is:   Unavailable
APM feature is:   Unavailable
Rd look-ahead is: Enabled
Write cache is:   Enabled
DSN feature is:   Unavailable
ATA Security is:  Disabled, frozen [SEC2]
Wt Cache Reorder: Enabled

SMART Disabled. Use option -s with argument 'on' to enable it.
(override with '-T permissive' option)

That information says that SMART support has been disabled on the drive which is why there is limited information.   You might want to google for how to enable it.

Oh that's just silly, I did not notice that!

I have never had a brand new drive with the SMART disabled like that. Thank you for your help!

I re-enabled SMART from the terminal and now have a full report attached.

ST10000VN0004-1ZD101_ZA290F6T-20190321-0919.txt

Reallocation Count and Pending Sector Count both read 0

Now that SMART reporting is working, I am going to PreClear one more time. There isn't any magic in the back to back preclear runs correct? If I preclear 3 times with 1 pass, it should be the same sort of stress test as a single test with 3 passes? If it passes this single pass test with no additional errors reported in SMART for the Reallocation Count and Pending Sector Count think I should be good to go? 

Edited by UnRaid_11318