Jump to content
kinaley

.VDI Files in unRAID (RESOLVED)

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone

I have bunch of .vdi files from Virtualbox.

What is the correct way of transferring over it to unRAID virtual environment ?

Do I need to convert it to some specifice format before I can use it on unRAID VM ? how ?

Thanks

 

Edited by kinaley
to mark it as resolved as i was not able to find the button

Share this post


Link to post

I've not tested if they work, but they probably won't appear in the GUI when adding them to your VM template (you'll have to manually add the path text).

That is what I found with (vmware) vmdk files in the past, it's a little annoying.

 

In the end I just converted them as it was a permanent migration, I used the following command in unraid terminal:

qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk -O raw source.vmdk destination.img

 

Replacing the 2 instances of vmdk above with vdi will allow you a straight forward conversion, but if your vdi has snapshots you will need to convert to a plain image with no snapshots first. 

VirtualBox comes with some tools that you can do these conversions also.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, kinaley said:

Hello everyone

I have bunch of .vdi files from Virtualbox.

What is the correct way of transferring over it to unRAID virtual environment ?

Do I need to convert it to some specifice format before I can use it on unRAID VM ? how ?

Thanks

 

It is possible to use these .vdi files on Unraid without any conversion.    To do so you need to enter the full path to the .vdi when specifying the vdisk entry while setting up the VM as the GUI does not provide support for selecting it via a drop down.

Share this post


Link to post

From what I've seen from the Qemu Wiki page, VDI should be supported as long as it has no snapshots an consists as a single file. 

 

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Images

Quote

qemu also supports the vdi format, so you can convert in both ways:

With the following command with Virtualbox you should be able to convert a VDI file into a RAW file that is supported by Unraid

Quote

VBoxManage clonehd -format RAW test.vdi test.raw

 

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, itimpi said:

It is possible to use these .vdi files on Unraid without any conversion.    To do so you need to enter the full path to the .vdi when specifying the vdisk entry while setting up the VM as the GUI does not provide support for selecting it via a drop down.

Hi itimpi

what is the exact location I need to specify the .vdi full path ?

vdi.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

I've not tested if they work, but they probably won't appear in the GUI when adding them to your VM template (you'll have to manually add the path text).

That is what I found with (vmware) vmdk files in the past, it's a little annoying.

 

In the end I just converted them as it was a permanent migration, I used the following command in unraid terminal:


qemu-img convert -p -f vmdk -O raw source.vmdk destination.img

 

Replacing the 2 instances of vmdk above with vdi will allow you a straight forward conversion, but if your vdi has snapshots you will need to convert to a plain image with no snapshots first. 

VirtualBox comes with some tools that you can do these conversions also.

 

 

hi there,

so the final command will look like 

qemu-img convert -p -f vdi -0 raw source.vdi destination.img ??

is that correct syntax ?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, bastl said:

From what I've seen from the Qemu Wiki page, VDI should be supported as long as it has no snapshots an consists as a single file. 

 

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Images

With the following command with Virtualbox you should be able to convert a VDI file into a RAW file that is supported by Unraid

 

ok, seems like the vboxmanage command is doing something..

I will update once the file gets created

Thanks

 

command.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, bastl said:

From what I've seen from the Qemu Wiki page, VDI should be supported as long as it has no snapshots an consists as a single file. 

 

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/Images

With the following command with Virtualbox you should be able to convert a VDI file into a RAW file that is supported by Unraid

 

The raw file has been created can you please guide me , how can I use it on unRAID vm

Thanks

 

raw.JPG

Share this post


Link to post

I have 6 .vdi files. Would like to know all the possible ways.

will give it a try on all the suggested posts one by one and will report back which one worked and was easy.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kinaley said:

Hi itimpi

what is the exact location I need to specify the .vdi full path ?

vdi.JPG

I would expect it to be the Primary vDisk location as the others are normally files contains iso images of CD-ROM or DVDS.  The .vdi file represents an emulated hard disk.   If the VM is to have multiple emulated hard disks it can end up with multiple .vdi files, one per emulated hard disk.

Share this post


Link to post

I tried with multiple settings  seabios, ovmf, ide,sata etc but was unable to make it boot from the .vdi files

I'm dropping out the idea of mounting .vdi directly as I don't know how to deal with the settings

I have created a .raw files using vboxmanage. How can I mount the .raw image can any body guide me please

Thanks

 

settings.JPG

bootmanager.JPG

Share this post


Link to post

Extension for raw should be .img, just rename and you see them appear when you navigate in the vdisk browser.

Try virtio first, then sata... or you can always look at your original virtualbox configuration so you don't have to guess the controller.

Share this post


Link to post

I regularly swap .vdi files between KVM on Unraid and Virtualbox running on a Windows system so it definitely works.    One thing you have to make sure of is that the OS inside the .vdi has appropriate drivers installed for the type of disk adapter chosen.   Typically a .vdi created on Virtualbox will have either SATA or IDE specified as the disk adapter type so the default of virtio set on a new VM on Unraid is not suitable.  You need to change it to match what VirtualBox was set up to use.   You can explicitly load virtio drivers into the OS while running under VirtualBox before trying to move the .vdi file to Unraid but that would not be done by default.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

I regularly swap .vdi files between KVM on Unraid and Virtualbox running on a Windows system so it definitely works.    One thing you have to make sure of is that the OS inside the .vdi has appropriate drivers installed for the type of disk adapter chosen.   Typically a .vdi created on Virtualbox will have either SATA or IDE specified as the disk adapter type so the default of virtio set on a new VM on Unraid is not suitable.  You need to change it to match what VirtualBox was set up to use.   You can explicitly load virtio drivers into the OS while running under VirtualBox before trying to move the .vdi file to Unraid but that would not be done by default.

Thankyou itimpi

yes, selectied SATA had BSOD

again selected IDE, It's working great.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Extension for raw should be .img, just rename and you see them appear when you navigate in the vdisk browser.

Try virtio first, then sata... or you can always look at your original virtualbox configuration so you don't have to guess the controller.

Thanks tjb_altf4,

As you suggested just renamed the .raw to .img and specified in the VM Manager.

It's working now.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kinaley said:

Last Question.

How do I preserve the License ?

Now Windows says it's not activated.

 

You have to copy the UUID from the VirtualBox VM to the Unraid VM definition as otherwise the hardware appears to have changed.   Having said that you can normally reactivate a Windows VM without a problem as long as you have not done it recently.

Edited by itimpi

Share this post


Link to post

That was awesome.

Yes on this window-7 machine. I re-activated with the same licence.

on next one I will try with the UUID stuff.

Many Thanks itimpi

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.