mover question

2Piececombo

I recently changed my cache drive from a 1tb sata SSD to a 1tb NVME ssd. While shuffling data around I realized I don't fully understand how the mover works and when/what it will move. For example, my system share was moved to an array disk while swapping out the cache. After assigning the new cache drive I changed the system share from, use cache: yes to only, then invoked the mover. I assumed this would move it back to the cache, but either it's not intended to do this or something is wrong. Is the mover only intended to move data from the cache to array, but not the reverse? If so, fine I guess. I just couldn't understand why it'll move one way but not the other. Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I didn't come across anything after a few searches so I figured I'd make a post.

Mover moves cache-yes shares from cache to array. It moves cache-prefer shares from array to cache. It doesn't move cache-no or cache-only shares.

This is explained in the Help for that setting. Click on the label for a setting to show/hide help for that setting, or click on Help in the menu to toggle global help on/off.

Here is a more detailed analysis of this setting in the FAQ:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?page=2#comment-537383

As for the "when" question, it runs when it is scheduled, at 4:40 AM by default. You can change that at Settings - Scheduler,

Archived