RAID failure on rebuild

That would probably make sense then. Downloads folder is configured to use cache drive as well at the moment. With regards to the rebuild comment, being that I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be using all the disks in the RAID, I was going to delete the share and re-create it with all the disks in the RAID.

Cheers,

-Chris

2 minutes ago, muntedewok said:

That would probably make sense then. Downloads folder is configured to use cache drive as well at the moment. With regards to the rebuild comment, being that I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be using all the disks in the RAID, I was going to delete the share and re-create it with all the disks in the RAID.

Cheers,

-Chris

You did not mention what the “Use Cache” setting was for those shares?

BTW: you might want to carefully read the Help built into the GUI for the meaning of the possible values for this setting - they seem to frequently be misunderstood.

7 minutes ago, muntedewok said:

I'm finding that the settings aren't quite similar to the settings I configure on say HP MSA 2052 SAN arrays yes.......

As for the cache setting itself, the setting is enabled for all of the shares. Is this what you mean?

Cheers,

-Chris

No.    Each share has a setting for “Use Cache disk” with options of Yes, No, Prefer and Only.    I was asking which option each of these shares is set to.    The setting controls both where new files get placed, and also how mover behaves which is why I suggested reading the Help for that setting.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so this is really starting to annoy me now. Disk 4 has dropped again and was reporting unmountable, so stopped array, rebooted, disk was there, start array again and it's rebuilding the disk. No idea why. This is the brand new disk I'd previously reported I was using. It's supposedly successfully rebuilt into the array several times now, and just keeps dropping off and being forgotten.

This disk is also using the SAS -> SATA breakout cable again which I suspect may be faulty. Worthwhile replacing cable or is there anything else this could be?

Cheers,

-Chris

tower-diagnostics-20190609-1502.zip

1 hour ago, muntedewok said:

Worthwhile replacing cable or is there anything else this could be?

Yes, your swapping it with another, disk drop offline and was reconnected with a different identifier, that's usually a connection problem, though because of that there's no SMART report.

Very strange it's getting a different identifier for the same disk, I'd have thought it'd generate an identifier for a disk based on its serial number and not change? Oh well. I've got another cable to test with. Reckon it's worthwhile removing the existing config and creating a new one with the same disk configuration?

Cheers,

-Chris

45 minutes ago, muntedewok said:

Very strange it's getting a different identifier for the same disk, I'd have thought it'd generate an identifier for a disk based on its serial number

Not strange at all, disks are identified by sdb, sdc, sdd, etc, as the disk got disconnected and reconnected it did so with the next available identifier.