[SOLVED] Have I lost my server disks

Unraid server v 6.7.0 (started 5 years ago)

Disk1 3TB failed
Installed a 4TB and started a preclear for 3 passes
After 1 run passed PRE-READ, ZEROING and Post-read was finished ok, stopped preclear at beginning of second run
Replaced Disk1 3TB with new 4TB
Rebuilding Disk1 with new 4TB finished OK
Rebooted and all was OK
Decided to upgrade the 5TB parity drive with a 8TB
Installed 8TB and started a preclear for 3 passes
After 1 run passed PRE-READ, ZEROING and Post-read was finished ok, stopped preclear at beginning of second run
Moved 8TB to replace 5TB parity drive and rebooted
upon reboot, parity drive started to rebuild but it ended with error

installed old good 5TB parity and rebooted and parity rebuild started
but Disk1 (new 4TB) was showing an X as if the disk was off
Left the parity drive finish rebuild and then both parity and Disk1 show X as bad
Have I lost the hole server?

tower-diagnostics-20190521-0410.zip tower-smart-20190520-2127.zip tower-syslog-20190521-0417.zip

Disk1 looks fine, probably a cable issue since there's a CRC error, though you should have grabbed the diags showing the disk errors.

To confirm data is OK on disk1 but to leave other options open in case they are needed, do a new config, assign just disk1, no other disks or parity, start the array and check disk is mounting and data looks correct, if all looks well post back to continue.

Thanks for replying to my post.

I havent yet tried to do a new config but I think what happened was maybe when I wanted to replace the 5TB parity with the new precleared 8TB,

I might have sapped the wrong disk... but I dont think I did make that mistake.

I unplugged all 8 drives last night and wrote down the slots where they were connected but not absolutlly sure,

Is there a way to ensure I will replace all drives in the right slots again.

I replaced all disks in their original places.

Changed the new 4TB disk 1 with the old 3TB that was there when it was showing a bad disk.

That 3TB is a seagate and I tested it with the Seagate Seatool on my home pC in windows and it showed OK.

Rebooted in safe mode (no plugins) and now this Disk1 3TB shows a blue square meaning it's a new device 

and the parity still shows "wrong" with the old 5TB parity and the new 8TB parity.

Edited by bounsky

Hi Johnny, thanks again for your support much appreciated.

I never used "new config" so from what I understand, I should do the following:

1 - Plug in the old 3TB and the new 4TB that was reconstructed in place of the failed 3TB and finished ok

2 - Start Unraid server

3 - Take photo of all assingned drive and their respective positions

4 - Disable all drives from the array in the main page

5 - Enable the disk1 only with the old 3TB and run "new config"

6 - Do the same with the new 4TB

What should I expect as the result?

How can I see if data is correct, will I see the data on that drive if the other drives are not in the array?

If you have old disk1 and the data is all there, i.e., nothing was added to disk1 after it was replaced, you just need to do a new config, keep currents assignments, assign old disk1 instead of the new one, assign old or new parity disk depending on which one you want to keep and start the array to sync parity.

Good morning Johnny , I did what you suggested and this morning I have my Unraid server back online.

During the parity sync, I saw a notification stating:

- " Notice (Tower) - array health report (Fail) Array has 7 disks (including parity) "

But this morning, the server is up and Array is started.

Now, I have a new 8TB and would like to copy files from the array to that drive that I could later read on my Windows PC.

What should I do? Format it under Windows as Fat32/NTFS and mount it as unassigned drive and use something like Krusader?

What wiuld be the fastest way to do this?

Thanks again and hoping my server doesn,t die again before I create a copy.

tower-diagnostics-20190524-1322.zip tower-syslog-20190524-1322.zip

11 minutes ago, bounsky said:

During the parity sync, I saw a notification stating:

- " Notice (Tower) - array health report (Fail) Array has 7 disks (including parity) "

That is normal and correct, the array health was failing at that moment because parity was not yet verified as correct. As soon as the parity process has completed successfully, array health returns to normal OK.

13 minutes ago, bounsky said:

I have a new 8TB and would like to copy files from the array to that drive that I could later read on my Windows PC.

What should I do? Format it under Windows as Fat32/NTFS and mount it as unassigned drive and use something like Krusader?

That sounds like a decent enough plan, though it may not be significantly faster than doing it across the network directly, and adds risk because you are mucking about with cables inside the box. As long as you have a healthy GB wired network I think it would be better to directly connect the drive to your windows pc and copy the files across.

• bounsky changed the title to [SOLVED] Have I lost my server disks

Hi guys, I want to thank you both for your help.

My server is now up and running.

I have formatted  a 4TB and an 8TB on my windos 8.1 in NTFS, installed them as unassigned devices in my Tower and I am now in the process of copying all my 9.8TB array of 6 disks to these diaks usin Krusader.

It'll take 2 or 3 days but at least, I'll have a copy from now on.

You guys know what it is to deal with Unraid and your precious time and effot to help is much appreciated by an old man (68) with his collection of data of the last 15 or so years.

Edited by bounsky