jeffreyf

Anyone running SteamOS?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've tried to set it up myself, but haven't had much luck. Just wondering about other peoples experiences and if anyone can give me any tips.

The main issue that I have is that after it installs after the first reboot is that it gets stuck and only a black screen with lines is seen, sometimes it gets stuck on the grub menu. When I changed VNC drivers there was a black screen with a big mouse like others have reported.

Tried changing the bios, though that didn't do much.

I'm having this same issue. Doesn't seems like a common to be installed via VM on unraid though, hence the lack of support...

Posted (edited)

I have it installed and working fine using Q35 and OVMF with a dedicated GPU. Didn't have any problems installing it as it was pretty straight forward. I haven't used it in ages though.

Edited by GHunter

Ahh that may be the difference - dedicated GPU.

What happens with me, is that i can see everything on the console up until it gets to the desktop. At the desktop it appears to download a 350 mb update and at the conclusion of the update it reboots and is never seen again. Just a blank screen with an enlarged mouse cursor. 

However, steamos specifically states that it supports intel gpu.. so theoretically it should work, 

I used a nVidia GTX 750 for mine. I use all nVidia GPUs in my builds as you can see in my signature.