Windows 10 VM: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Twisted

I followed the @SpaceInvaderOne tutorials and setup a Windows 10 VM (Thank You) and passed through an EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card (Supports UEFI). Everything boots fine, but I am getting an error in Device Manager, so Windows has my resolution locked at 800 x 600. Here is what I have tried so far:

• Remove and reinstalled the card (only have one slot available in my motherboard)
  • Installed the latest windows drivers & updates
  • Installed the latest driver from the EVGA website
  • Installed the latest GeForce Game Ready Driver
  • Updated my machine to i440fx-3.1
  • BIOS: OVMF
  • Updated my Windows VirtIO driver ISO to virtio-win-0.1.160-1.iso
  • PCIe ACS override: Downstream
  • VFIO allow unsafe interrupts: No (Also tried Yes)

My graphics card is  in its own IOMMU group:

IOMMU group 9:

[10de:1c81] 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050] (rev a1)

[10de:0fb9] 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

After all of these changes, I am still getting the error message. Any suggestions on things to try next would be greatly appreciated!

Make sure that you are also passing through the sound part of the GPU.

[10de:0fb9] 01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP107GL High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

The driver will expect there to be Nvidia sound hardware present. If you want to use a different sound card just pass through a second one but leave the Nvidia present.

20866719_ScreenShot2019-05-30at14_00_44.png.d855b68e3c5152e5ec95c96d021e1795.png

Also if you are booting Unraid in UEFI mode then try legacy mode. Click flash on the main page and check if you are using legacy or UEFI.

727890377_ScreenShot2019-05-30at13_57_33.thumb.png.b08bd3bfa4fa0ceedbbff654641f516f.png

Also, you could try passing through the vbios for the GPU. You can find it on tech powerup here https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=EVGA&model=GTX+1050+Ti&interface=&memType=&memSize=&since=

but you will need to remove the header in a hex editor for it to work. See my vid here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IP-h9IKof0

Also just check things in your bios on the motherboard. Make sure that things such as the gpu order have your onboard as primary. Enable Multi monitor if you see it.

Also if you have iommu option that is set to auto, change it to enabled.

Can't think of anything else. Good luck @Twisted  :)

@SpaceInvaderOne Thank you for jumping in on this! I had completed everything on your list before except changing the server boot mode to Legacy. I tried it months ago and the server wouldn't boot, so I left it alone for a long time. I spent some time troubleshooting today and changed my motherboard bios from UEFI to Legacy and UEFI, then unchecked Permit UEFI boot mode...and bingo!

Thank you for all you do for the community!

Archived