Expanding my array

My unraid server sits in a hp Z620 workstation.

I have 2 parity and 1 data drive in the internals bays.

In the 2 5,25" external bays i threw a 3x3,5" cage for data drives

I also have a pci-e bracket which old 2 sata m2 drives.

I only have room left for 1 m2 nvme ssd.

Finally i have 4 data drives.

I'd like to use some drives from machines i will soon stop cause replacing them with unraid.

Expanding storage with dell md1200 or similar is not an option for me as i can't use rackmount server due to depth.

So i don't have many options as i don't consider using usb enclosure

Building my own storage expansion unit is hard when it comes to source case and backplane (i'm in france)

So it leaves me with the option of using a desktop expansion unit from synology like the DX1215.

First question: can you use a dx1215 with an hba from lsi or other brand than synology? it seems to me that it uses a standard sas port with an expander.

and second : Which one could you use with unraid ?

Edited by caplam
1 hour ago, caplam said:

Building my own storage expansion unit is hard when it comes to source case and backplane (i'm in france)

I'm not directly answering your question, but why that? seems very expensive. I am in the process of moving from an md1000 hooked up to a z420 to moving the disks into a converted fractal R5: Go from the hba in the server out to an 8088 to 8087 adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PRXOQFA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) 2 cables then into another of the same adapter, then breakout cables from the adapter to the drives (gives me 8 sata cables for the 8 drives.) add in a small 400 watt power supply I have laying around and its done. If I want to add more drives in the future, I can use an sas expander and add a drive cage with fans.

yes the synology option is expensive but the size is ideal, i prefer hotswap cage and i probably will take time to find a used one.

If i'd find a case that meets my needs i'd be very happy to build my own expansion unit.

To be clear i'm not happy to buy another synology box as i plan to remove my ds1815+ from my shelf.

Edited by caplam
  • 4 years later...
On 6/13/2019 at 8:50 AM, caplam said:

My unraid server sits in a hp Z620 workstation.

I have 2 parity and 1 data drive in the internals bays.

In the 2 5,25" external bays i threw a 3x3,5" cage for data drives

I also have a pci-e bracket which old 2 sata m2 drives.

I only have room left for 1 m2 nvme ssd.

Finally i have 4 data drives.

I'd like to use some drives from machines i will soon stop cause replacing them with unraid.

Expanding storage with dell md1200 or similar is not an option for me as i can't use rackmount server due to depth.

So i don't have many options as i don't consider using usb enclosure

So it leaves me with the option of using a desktop expansion unit from synology like the DX1215.

First question: can you use a dx1215 with an hba from lsi or other brand than synology? it seems to me that it uses a standard sas port with an expander.

and second : Which one could you use with unraid ?

I have three of the DX1215 expansion cages,  Any confirmation that these work with an LSI controller or other unlocked controller with the right adaption cable. These models including the Series II used an infiniband cable , vs the new models currently for sale use a standard SAS connection cable from the Master diskstation.  Thanks for any information. I might have to test a few of these out, I also have some DX513s that were cut off for newer units from Synology and may serve purposes beyond life with Synology . Of course the DX1215s as well as the DS36XX series  use the 500W power supplies, so they are definately not energy saver models for Synology Enteprise products.  The now EOL power supply from Synology parts. 

Edited by nc88keyz