Installed ups package from the unmenu, how to check

hunter69

Look in the syslog. There will be logged messages as the UPS software is loaded. Also, try pulling the plug on the UPS, wait a minute, then plug it back in. Then go look at the bottom of the syslog. Should see messages about power lost and power restored.

So I have a APC ups plugged into my server.  I installed the ups package.  Everything seemed to install fine.  I want to safely test that it knows my ups is present and that my server will be shutdown safely.  So how does a person accomplish this?

Thanks

Bill

Also... On the "System Info" page in unMENU is a button you can click to see the UPS status. 

Joe L.

Joe L.

I did what you stated and this is what I see

UPS Status

(from /sbin/apcaccess status)

APC      : 001,036,0911

DATE    : Fri Oct 22 12:16:41 MDT 2010

HOSTNAME : Tower

RELEASE  : 3.14.3

VERSION  : 3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware

UPSNAME  : Tower

CABLE    : Custom Cable Smart

MODEL    : Back-UPS ES 500

UPSMODE  : Stand Alone

STARTTIME: Fri Oct 22 05:01:51 MDT 2010

STATUS  : ONLINE

LINEV    : 121.0 Volts

LOADPCT  :  0.0 Percent Load Capacity

BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent

TIMELEFT :  62.2 Minutes

MBATTCHG : 10 Percent

MINTIMEL : 5 Minutes

MAXTIME  : 300 Seconds

SENSE    : High

LOTRANS  : 088.0 Volts

HITRANS  : 138.0 Volts

ALARMDEL : Always

BATTV    : 13.4 Volts

LASTXFER : No transfers since turnon

NUMXFERS : 0

TONBATT  : 0 seconds

CUMONBATT: 0 seconds

XOFFBATT : N/A

STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag

MANDATE  : 2004-07-03

SERIALNO : JB0427051794 

BATTDATE : 2000-00-00

NOMINV  : 120 Volts

NOMBATTV :  12.0 Volts

FIRMWARE : 801.e5.D USB FW:e5

APCMODEL : Back-UPS ES 500

END APC  : Fri Oct 22 12:16:54 MDT 2010

It looks to as though it knows what ups it is, so I am assuming that if a extended power outage happens it will shut the server down nicely.  Do you think I am correct in my assumption?  It looks as though it is reporting that it will keep the server up for approximately 62 min.  Am I reading this correctly?

Percent Load Capacity looks screwy.  And depending upon load capacity will affect the TIMELEFT

As far as the others, (if I recall correctly) server will shutdown if ANY of the following is true:

1. BCHARGE reaches 10% or less

2. TIMELEFT reaches 5 minutes or less (based on BCHARGE and LOADPCT)

3. Power Outage has lasted 300 seconds (5 minutes) [MAXTIME]

You can change MAXTIME to 0 if you do not care how long the outage is and leave server up as long as possible.

For testing, change MAXTIME to like 30 seconds, make sure you are not reading/writing (just in case) to the drives, unplug the ups from the wall and wait.

powerdown should occur after 30 seconds.

LOADPCT  :   0.0 Percent Load Capacity

Percent Load Capacity looks screwy.  And depending upon load capacity will affect the TIMELEFT

As far as the others, (if I recall correctly) server will shutdown if ANY of the following is true:

You can change MAXTIME to 0 if you do not care how long the outage is and leave server up as long as possible.

For testing, change MAXTIME to like 30 seconds, make sure you are not reading/writing (just in case) to the drives, unplug the ups from the wall and wait.

What does a person do about this?

If I conduct the test and it shutsdown as expected, should I be concerned about the above issue?

As you muck with settings, remember the power draw is going to be much higher with spinning vs spun down drives. since unraid is going to spin them all up to stop the array, you will start eating up power at a much faster pace during the actual shutdown.

What does a person do about this?

If I conduct the test and it shutsdown as expected, should I be concerned about the above issue?

Are you sure the server is plugged into an outlet protected by the UPS?  On mine only some of the outlets are, and the others are just surge protected.

I suspect you might have the server plugged into a surge-protected-outlet and not one of the ups-protected outlets.  That would explain why there is a zero load percentage.

According to this manual on the APC site, your UPS has both types of outlets:

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/ASTE-6Z7V3F_R0_EN.pdf

Before conducting the test, press the "Stop" button on the server.  If by chance it powers down immediately you'll not be faced with a full parity check on power restore.

Well I conducted the test.  My unraid server did not shutdown after 30 sec.  So I decided to just let it go till it shutdown.  It shutdown, then I plugged it back in.  It turned on, and started a parity check.  I am thinking that because it has to run a parity check that the server did not shutdown nicely.  SO where does a person start to troubleshoot this issue and make sure the add in is operating correctly.

Thanks for the help

Hmmmm....sounds like it went until the UPS ran out of juice so not a clean shutdown.

Do you happen to have the alternate "powerdown" package? (I installed it from unMenu)

Think that does a better job of shutting down the server.

Also, do you have any processes that might be holding onto shares and preventing SMB dismount? Now as I type this, I realize I did my test prior to running SABnzbd and Sickbeard.  Guess I need to plan on another test to ensure it shuts down properly.

Well I conducted the test.  My unraid server did not shutdown after 30 sec.  So I decided to just let it go till it shutdown.  It shutdown, then I plugged it back in.  It turned on, and started a parity check.  I am thinking that because it has to run a parity check that the server did not shutdown nicely.  SO where does a person start to troubleshoot this issue and make sure the add in is operating correctly.

Thanks for the help

You did the first step... and that was to get the status from the UPS.  We said the wattage indication looked wrong.  did you correct that?

Did you install the "powerdown" package?  Unless it is installed, you'll not power down.  It is listed as a dependency of the apcupsd package.

When you pull the plug on the UPS you should see a message in the system log.  When power is restored another message is logged.

If you type

/sbin/powerdown

after logging in on the system console or via telnet

the system should power down.

Both the powerdown package AND the apcupsd package must be set to re-install on re-boot, otherwise they will not be running/installed.

Joe L.

You did the first step... and that was to get the status from the UPS.  We said the wattage indication looked wrong.  did you correct that?

Well I checked to make sure the server was correctly plugged in.  It was correct.  I conducted the first test, waited 30 seconds and it did not seem to shutdown.  SO I plugged the server back in.  Checked syslog, syslog stated it had begun the shutdown process.  SO I thought I did not wait long enough.  After this I observed info in all areas of the ups status area in unmenu.  So I conducted a second test.  I waited 2-3 minutes and nothing happened.  I pluuged it back in.  The looged onto syslog and it stated that it was placed on backup power.  The xansfer field stated irregular line voltage.

So now we are to today.  I unplugged the server, waited and waited and waited.  The server did not shut down.  I had to go to work so I decided to allow it to shutdown.  It did and then when I restarted the serverit began a parity check (which I am thinking means it was a hard shutdown  :-[ )  So now I am back to posting on the forum to get it to function properly.  Here is a copy and paste from the UPS status page (it looks as though LOADPCT  :  0.0 Percent Load Capacity is blank again)

UPS Status

(from /sbin/apcaccess status)

APC      : 001,036,0910

DATE    : Tue Oct 26 12:58:05 MDT 2010

HOSTNAME : Tower

RELEASE  : 3.14.3

VERSION  : 3.14.3 (20 January 2008) slackware

UPSNAME  : Tower

CABLE    : Custom Cable Smart

MODEL    : Back-UPS ES 500

UPSMODE  : Stand Alone

STARTTIME: Tue Oct 26 12:46:41 MDT 2010

STATUS  : ONLINE

LINEV    : 118.0 Volts

BCHARGE  : 027.0 Percent

TIMELEFT :  22.9 Minutes

MAXTIME  : 30 Seconds

SENSE    : High

LOTRANS  : 088.0 Volts

HITRANS  : 138.0 Volts

ALARMDEL : Always

BATTV    : 12.6 Volts

LASTXFER : No transfers since turnon

NUMXFERS : 0

TONBATT  : 0 seconds

CUMONBATT: 0 seconds

XOFFBATT : N/A

STATFLAG : 0x07000008 Status Flag

MANDATE  : 2004-07-03

SERIALNO : JB0427051794 

BATTDATE : 2000-00-00

NOMINV  : 120 Volts

NOMBATTV :  12.0 Volts

FIRMWARE : 801.e5.D USB FW:e5

APCMODEL : Back-UPS ES 500

END APC  : Tue Oct 26 12:58:48 MDT 2010

Thanks for any help you can provide

It is listed as a dependency of the apcupsd package.

um, not to be picky or anything, but um, how do you know that?

where is the dependency section on the Pkg manager screen?

and if Powerdown really is a dependency, why isn't it just included, or automatically otherwise some how magically installed when you d/load the ups thingy?

another silly question: where can I get an english version of the pkg manager screen thingy? the current one looks like it was made by some sort of Linux dudes... and I am reasonably sure they don't speak or at least read/write in english... for example what does 3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz mean in english? is that something I should care about?

my guess is that Pkg Manager (and unMenu/unraid in general) makes perfect sense to the unRAID veterans, but for us noobs its a bit overwhelming at times, and the fact that its all written in some sort of alien language doesn't help...

note: I really do like the whole Pkg Manager thing (and unMenu in general), and I really don't want to know how people dealt with packages before Pkg Manager (my guess is they just didn't...)

Go to the unMenu PkgMgr page, go down to where Clean Powerdown is and see if it says:

Currently Installed. Will be automatically Re-Installed upon Re-Boot.

This is what it was.  Thank you very much for the help.  Last night I unplugged the ups and in approximately 30 seconds it shut itself down cleanly.  :)

It is listed as a dependency of the apcupsd package.

um, not to be picky or anything, but um, how do you know that?

where is the dependency section on the Pkg manager screen?

I'll agree, that information is hidden on the line labeled

Dependencies: /usr/bin/mail, /sbin/powerdown

and if Powerdown really is a dependency, why isn't it just included, or automatically otherwise some how magically installed when you d/load the ups thingy?

At the time unMENU's package manager was written, the ability to download more than one file per "package" did not exist.  The apcupsd and powerdown packages were two of the first packages made available.

Your point is a valid one however, and adding the download and install of the powerdown command when installing the apcupsd package a nice improvement.

another silly question: where can I get an english version of the pkg manager screen thingy? the current one looks like it was made by some sort of Linux dudes...

It was.  Me.
and I am reasonably sure they don't speak or at least read/write in english...
Actually, I read and write English very well.
for example what does 3.14.3-i486-1kjz.tgz mean in english? is that something I should care about?
Yes, it is something you should care about.  I did not make up the named of the files and packages you are downloading and installing on your server.  It might not make any difference to you, but it does if you want specific versions or features in some packages.  For dumbend users such as yourself who seem to want to just push a button and not know what they've done, it is meaningless.

my guess is that Pkg Manager (and unMenu/unraid in general) makes perfect sense to the unRAID veterans, but for us noobs its a bit overwhelming at times, and the fact that its all written in some sort of alien language doesn't help...

It is alien to many... and unless you are very familiar with both the packages being installed AND with Slackware Linux AND unRAID's stripped down implementation of the OS you'll have a very difficult time installing anything.  Remember... the unRAID software is sold as a "network storage appliance" and was not originally designed to add-ons to be easily added and configured.  It is only because of the work I and others on the unRAID forum did to our own servers and subsequently shared can you even engage in this conversation.

I think you need to take a bit of time and read the thread describing the beginnings of unMENU. You can find it here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2110.0  It was one where we were discussing how the unRAID interface could be improved.    The 4th post in that thread eventually has led to the development of the 5.0 series of unRAID.  5.0 has almost exactly the structure I described.  That post was over 2 years ago.

unMENU was my contribution of how to visualize everyone's ideas.  Quoting from my own post:

The new "web-server" is a great rapid development tool in that I can get feedback from people like yourself and incorporate the best of the ideas.  I've learned it is much easier to show a skeletal version of a program to an end-user and get their feedback and suggestions.  Some suggestions will not be possible, some will, some I just did not get to yet.  Yes, I could have installed Apache, or one of the lightweight http servers, but I wanted to do it the hard way.  Trust me, this is not a web-server for a high volume web-site.  It is not going to put Apache out of business.  ;)  Besides, most people would have a tough time installing and configuring a full size web-server on their unRAID server.  Some would be unwilling.  This eliminates the need for any additional package.

I won't even attempt to use it (unMENU) to configure the unRAID server, or to clear/format/assign disks. It will just to report and do basic admin tasks not currently possible.  It will potentially give Tom a few ideas (he is welcome to borrow some or all)  I do not want to replace emhttp, just supplement it. 

My goal was just to do this for fun, and to build it in a way that other geeks like me can extend if they wish to add their specific pages to monitor their specific custom packages via the web.  Once you see how to do it, you can add a new page too.. (as long as you know a bit of html and programming logic)

You can see, unMENU was designed as a prototyping tool.  It evolved into something much more useful.  The first mention of a desire for a package manager plugin was here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2110.msg19670#msg19670

The first mention of the package manager was here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2110.msg20229#msg20229 and it was officially first made public on Octiber 14, 2008... (just over 2 years ago)

note: I really do like the whole Pkg Manager thing (and unMenu in general), and I really don't want to know how people dealt with packages before Pkg Manager (my guess is they just didn't...)

The names of the packages seem cryptic because of the convention used by the Linux geeks who have had to learn how to organize them and deal with multiple versions over a long timespan and many architectures.    As a noob they will not make sense.  As you guessed, most unRAID users did not add packages to their server.  It was only a few very technical users who did.   

You are certainly welcome to contribute to make unMENU better, even if it is by being critical of its screens and how they appear to a newcomer.  Initially I'll be offended, but I'll quickly get over it and respect the feedback. ;) 

Good ideas will be incorporated... even bad ideas can lead to improvements, so even if your "geek" skills are not up to mine, contribute.

Joe L.

I do not share the same views as the other person posting in this thread.  I understand the importantance of the names of the files etc.  I figured there was a logical reason as to why the acups package did not include the clean power down script.  I am just thankful for the help and the work others put into unraid.

Unraid is not designed to be a plug and play nas unless you purchased the whole package (server and software) and even then it is iffy.

Archived