Files and customizations lost during reboot

Hi all,

I am having an issue with Unraid 6.7.1, but it was also hapenning in older versions.

I did some changes in /etc/fstab adding some unassigned devices to be mounted, primarily for backup, added some /etc/cron.daily/ scripts and some files under /root/, however everytime I reboot unraid all these changes and files are lost. In fact, all changes done on the flash partition are lost upon reboot.

Is this an expected behaviour and how to I fix this for not losing all my changes upon reboot ?

40 minutes ago, carlostrudo said:

Is this an expected behaviour

Yes it is.

/etc, /root, and all other OS folders are in RAM. The only folders that persist are /mnt, the mounted devices and user shares, and /boot, the flash drive.

Unraid is really a NAS OS with VM and docker hosting. It is not intended to be a general purpose linux installation. You probably shouldn't be trying to work at the linux command line until you have a better understanding of how Unraid works and how it might differ from a general purpose linux installation.

For mounting Unassigned Devices, there is a plugin (named Unassigned Devices). There are also plugins for many other things, including scheduling scripts (User Scripts).

8 minutes ago, trurl said:

Unraid is really a NAS OS with VM and docker hosting. It is not intended to be a general purpose linux installation. You probably shouldn't be trying to work at the linux command line until you have a better understanding of how Unraid works and how it might differ from a general purpose linux installation.

Thanks for the reply !

Actually I I'm playing around with this unraid instance and breaking stuff while a go for learning purpose, no important data is being hosted there :)

I just added user-scripts plugin and seems to solve my issues for now.

I have another "production" unraid instance that I'm much more conservative while doing any changes.