Cache slower than unassigned devices

MomentarilyEpic

Installed aquantia 10gbe ethernet cards on both my unraid and my pc, I know the connection is fine because when from my pc nvme drive to unraid ram disk i get full speeds both ends. This is also confirmed by putting an nvme drive in unassigned devices and copying a 50gb file and its at full speed again either end. However for the life of me I cant figure out that no matter what my cache configuration is i only get 500mb/s write (half of what it should be) and whats worse is only 60mb/s read from cache to my pc
Ive tried single sata ssd
2 sata ssd's in raid 0
and single nvme (i dont have a second one)
(Tried with jumbo frames and without, like i said, i know its not the connection coz it works with ramdisk and the nvme in unassigned devices)

all of these have the same speeds when adding files to cache but goes at max speed when in unassigned devices but only goes at half write and EVEN WORSE reads when in cache

are there any settings you want me to take a screenshot of, to see if it will help
also
cpu: dual xeon x5650
motherboard: intel s5520hc
Ram: 32gb ddr3 ecc
My nvme is in an adapter at pcie gen2 X4 but should still saturate 10gb (as shown in disk share)
also thanks for the disk share help, really appreciate it, now so close to actually setting up my dockers etc just gotta fix 10gbe cache for user shares

You can't multi-thread a single file transfer but you can transfer multiple files at the same time. Unfortunately I haven't found a good windows app to automate this but if you just do two copies at the same time it works because each copy gets its own samba thread. With SSDs there's very little performance decrease for doing two or even three sequential copies at once.

If you find a windows app that automates this I'd love to hear about it. I tried a lot of them and had no luck.

yeah just tested with 2 transfers and yeah both at same speed (few drops everynow and then) but generally all good, guess i wont get full 10gb until i move out and can get a brand new server thats got better single threaded , my only real issue is the write backs from my nvme on unraid to nvme to my pc, its only peaking at 60mp/s 2 transfers make it 30 each and it wont go higher

7 hours ago, MomentarilyEpic said:

my only real issue is the write backs from my nvme on unraid to nvme to my pc, its only peaking at 60mp/s 2 transfers make it 30 each and it wont go higher

The issue should be PC destination storage not fast enough. You may try create a big RAR non-compress file in NVMe and read test it in PC side to verify the issue. You won't got just 60MB/s.

And UD got better performance then cache pool is normal.

Archived