Radeon VII passtrough problem Unraid 6.7.2

System specs here:
X399 Zenith Extreme Alpha with 2950X

64GB Ram

2x Radeon VII

950 Pro 512GB as cache

2x 1TB 860 Evos as array (parity+disk1)

There are two issues I have encountered:
1) primary GPU, when passed trough for VM, has black screen. If I launch system with VNC, it boots and goes to Win10 install. With RVII system goes black. With Seabios I get few lines fo text and then black screen.

2) other VM with second RVII goes well and Win10 install has no issues. When I try to install AMD driver package, everything crashes.

Any ideas? I am new to linux environment and Unraid so please be kind : ) What ever I could provide to help, let me know. Thanks

Have you searched the forum for "AMD GPU passthrough issues" or "AMD GPU reset bug" or "AMD driver issues"? If not, please do so but let me tell you right now, you might not be happy with the result. AMD cards especially the Vega and the Radeon VII have an issue if you pass them to a VM. It might work, but as soon as you restart the VM or power it down and later back up without restarting the server they are "stuck" in a lower power stage. This rest issue is around for a while. I have read yesterday there might be an kernel patch people working on, but nothing thats implemented in Unraid yet.

For your driver issue you might find a answer somewhere in the forum. At some point end of last year it started with a newer driver. From this point people started complaining about an install issue with newer drivers (black screen). Some dudes figured it out, how to configure the VM to avoiding this issue. Q35 machine type, seabios or OVMF mode some sort of combination fixed it for some people.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, bastl said:

Have you searched the forum for "AMD GPU passthrough issues" or "AMD GPU reset bug" or "AMD driver issues"? If not, please do so but let me tell you right now, you might not be happy with the result. AMD cards especially the Vega and the Radeon VII have an issue if you pass them to a VM. It might work, but as soon as you restart the VM or power it down and later back up without restarting the server they are "stuck" in a lower power stage. This rest issue is around for a while. I have read yesterday there might be an kernel patch people working on, but nothing thats implemented in Unraid yet.

For your driver issue you might find a answer somewhere in the forum. At some point end of last year it started with a newer driver. From this point people started complaining about an install issue with newer drivers (black screen). Some dudes figured it out, how to configure the VM to avoiding this issue. Q35 machine type, seabios or OVMF mode some sort of combination fixed it for some people.

Okay so. As I was giving up, I did it. Newest drivers 19.7.1 works, both cards passed trough on their own VMs. I played around again with different combinations and way too little sleep, too many hours in this forum and then I found this one below:

On 2/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, Siwat2545 said:

Replace your syslinux with

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology, Inc.
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append vfio-pci.ids=1002:687f,1002:aaf8 initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS GUI Mode
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins, no GUI)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label unRAID OS GUI Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot,/bzroot-gui unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest

Modifying this for my system, using correct identifier for my first Radeon VII, I managed to put it trough. With OVMF and Q35 3.1 I succesfully installed current AMD drivers. Just Display and audio, no radeon software yet. Wanted to play safe first.

I have minor audio issues, but I guess I am past worst problems. I hope. Thanks @bastlanyway for replying, and thanks @Siwat2545 where ever you are :P In to the new misadventures!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, contay said:
Modifying this for my system, using correct identifier for my first Radeon VII, I managed to put it trough. With OVMF and Q35 3.1 I succesfully installed current AMD drivers. Just Display and audio, no radeon software yet. Wanted to play safe first.

I have minor audio issues, but I guess I am past worst problems. I hope. Thanks [mention=79141]bastl[/mention]anyway for replying, and thanks [mention=72489]Siwat2545[/mention] where ever you are  In to the new misadventures!

I'm here son 🙂

BTW did you managed to survive a VM reboot without kernel patch?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Edited by Siwat2545
8 hours ago, bastl said:

@contay Quick question, did you boot your unraid in UEFI mode or legacy?

Legacy. I was fiddling around with files and used EFI- folder name as it now seems to come. I tried forcing uefi too. Didn't even boot.

58 minutes ago, Siwat2545 said:

I'm here son 🙂

BTW did you managed to survive a VM reboot without kernel patch?

Sadly no. That still persists but I can live with that now I got system even partially running so I can set my Steam lib gaming rig for GF while I run some Apex. Kernel patch should fix this, you say?

Today I try to combat those audio bugs and later I'll set up couple USB hubs for easier device access and switch. 

Sadly no. That still persists but I can live with that now I got system even partially running so I can set my Steam lib gaming rig for GF while I run some Apex. Kernel patch should fix this, you say?

Today I try to combat those audio bugs and later I'll set up couple USB hubs for easier device access and switch. 
Yup I patched my kernel and it is fixed but you should wait for a Linux kernel that fix this reset bug, patching the kernel can be ... Let's say messy

35 minutes ago, Siwat2545 said:

Yup I patched my kernel and it is fixed but you should wait for a Linux kernel that fix this reset bug, patching the kernel can be ... Let's say messy

I definetly will wait. This was victory already. 

• 5 months later...