AVAHI or Bonjour Across VLAN's

Howdy Gents,

I am trying to setup an AVAHI Daemon for mDNS, Bonjour etc. across multiple network segments. I figured the easiest way to do this would be via a docker container but I haven't had any success finding an UNRAID template. Has anyone else done this via a docker container? Maybe I could just leverage the AVAHI Daemon that's in UNRAID? Open to suggestions but note that I have no additional hardware for AVAHI - this would need to run on the host or docker container. Thanks!

• 9 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 5:37 PM, kl0wn said:

Howdy Gents,

I am trying to setup an AVAHI Daemon for mDNS, Bonjour etc. across multiple network segments. I figured the easiest way to do this would be via a docker container but I haven't had any success finding an UNRAID template. Has anyone else done this via a docker container? Maybe I could just leverage the AVAHI Daemon that's in UNRAID? Open to suggestions but note that I have no additional hardware for AVAHI - this would need to run on the host or docker container. Thanks!

Did you ever figure this out? I have my IoT devices on one subnet while computers are on another. It's great for security, but I can't AirPlay because of it..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, is there any chance to make it work also with docker networks? 
I have a chromecast on my "localdomain" network and a homeassistant docker in a "reverseproxy" network. (created with "create docker network reverseproxy")
While i can ping chromecast.localdomain from homeassistant console, i doesn't appear in the devices even with manually setup.
How can i repeat the mdns from one domain to another?
I can't find how to setup avahi. Since pfsense doens't have access to "reverseproxy" domain

• 3 weeks later...

Any luck with this? I'm in the exact same boat as you with home assistant, I read an old post about someone setting up avahi on a small ubuntu VM. May try that later. 

Edit: No luck enabling avahi in an ubuntu VM. Not sure if there's a solution. I ended up setting up the cast node in node-red to handle sending announcements to speakers around the house. 

Edited by wewantrice
  • 1 year later...

Since this was the first result in a Google search when I was looking for a solution, I will post my solution here. I created an MDNS reflector with a  Docker container to reflect between my secure LAN , IOT -VLAN2, and Guest -VLAN3 networks. Change the specifics to fit your situation. 

1- Create docker networks for the VLANs (one time setup in Unraid terminal):

docker network create --driver macvlan --subnet 192.168.2.0/24 --gateway 192.168.2.1 --opt parent=eth0.2 vlan2

docker network create --driver macvlan --subnet 192.168.3.0/24 --gateway 192.168.3.1 --opt parent=eth0.3 vlan3 

2- Create docker container:

Name:Avahi  (name is used in Post Arguments later)

Repository:flungo/avahi

Network Type:Custom:br0

Fixed IP address:192.168.1.20

Docker Variables:

REFLECTOR_ENABLE_REFLECTOR

Key:REFLECTOR_ENABLE_REFLECTOR

Value:yes

Docker Post Arguments: (ADVANCED VIEW)

; docker network connect vlan2 Avahi --ip 192.168.2.20; docker network connect vlan3 Avahi --ip 192.168.3.20

Edited by kp74508
  • Like 3
12 hours ago, kp74508 said:

Since this was the first result in a Google search when I was looking for a solution, I will post my solution here. I created an MDNS reflector with a  Docker container to reflect between my secure LAN , IOT -VLAN2, and Guest -VLAN3 networks. Change the specifics to fit your situation. 

1- Create docker networks for the VLANs (one time setup in Unraid terminal):

docker network create --driver macvlan --subnet 192.168.2.0/24 --gateway 192.168.2.1 --opt parent=eth0.2 br0.2

docker network create --driver macvlan --subnet 192.168.3.0/24 --gateway 192.168.3.1 --opt parent=eth0.3 br0.3

2- Create docker container:

Name:Avahi  (name is used in Post Arguments later)

Repository:flungo/avahi

Network Type:Custom:br0

Fixed IP address:192.168.1.20

Docker Variables:

REFLECTOR_ENABLE_REFLECTOR

Key:REFLECTOR_ENABLE_REFLECTOR

Value:yes

Docker Post Arguments: (ADVANCED VIEW)

; docker network connect br0.2 Avahi --ip 192.168.2.20; docker network connect br0.3 Avahi --ip 192.168.3.20

Thanks! I ended up snagging a Firewalla Gold a few months back and it has mDNS reflection built in.

• 1 year later...

Thank you, @kp74508

Your instruction was really helpful. My Linux Mint VM that sits on a different vlan can finally have access to the main network's printer with full print&scan functions.

To anyone visiting this thread in the future:

I had already created a vlan for VM and only needed to enable this network within the docker setting menu. No need to manually create the network using terminal.

Edited by jfoxwu