We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

6.7.2 - Windows VM USB Passthrough disk/by-id not working

yeah, I can enable passthrough by adding /dev/sdX - this had been my workaround but recently Windows stopped recognising the partition when the drive was re-attached (even after updating /dev/sdX in the 2nd vdisk settings) and it required formatting in diskmgmt every time it was connected

still no luck adding with /dev/disk/by-id/, but mounted or unmounted I can add it to VM using /dev/sdp or /dev/sdp1 but Windows 10 will not show the partition I created the last time it was attached, even unRaid sees the partition 'DB'

2067749521_image(2).png.11bcc971abd43c35b16f567436d207ac.png

Windows just shows 'disk1' 

image.thumb.png.02ecb44abe83e27a6b15c70a8a216da2.png

I never attached a USB device this way. Only SSDs or harddrives I attached by-id. For USB devices like mouse and keyboard, the VM settings page option to add them never had any issues with that. The Libvirt-Hotplug Addon also does it's job if I needed it. Best option still is to passthrough a dedicated USB controller to a VM to have plug and play function like on a real system.